Connecting multiple batteries together

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Here are some odd battery facts that I learned today:

According to batterystuff.com:

"To join batteries in parallel, use a jumper wire to connect both the positive terminals, and another jumper wire to connect both the negative terminals of both batteries to each other. Negative to negative and positive to positive. You CAN connect your load to ONE of the batteries, and it will drain both equally. However, the preferred method for keeping the batteries equalized is to connect to the positive at one end of the battery pack, and the negative at the other end of the pack."

An illustration would look like this:

IMG_20180920_2133111.jpg

What prompted me to question my earlier intended wiring setup of my 4-battery 12V system were the wiring diagrams of 24V and 48V battery systems provided in the installation manual for the Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor.

IMG_20180920_2131325.jpg

Additionally, the instructions for the Aims Power 4000W Inverter Charger state this interesting tidbit:

"Reducing RF interference
To reduce the effect of radiated interference, twist the DC cables. To further reduce RF interference, shield the cables with sheathing /copper foil / braiding.
Taping battery cables together to reduce inductance
Do not keep the battery cables far apart. In case it is not convenient to twist the cables, keep them taped together to reduce their inductance. Reduced inductance of the battery cables helps to reduce induced voltages. This reduces ripple in the battery cables and improves performance and efficiency."

So, the two thumb-thick 4/0 AWG cables should be twisted and be close together. Yet, their ends should go to the opposite corners of the battery bank!

Top Bottom