Clicking sound when Idle

Oded

Just want to make sure you are all getting this clicking / crrrrk sound when the bike is pushed with no motor. Once the bike is accelerating it goes away.
I have been told by Alta that is it the normal sound if the motor's magnets. Just curious how come no one raised that question before, as it is quite annoying.

Fod

It's broken....Luckily I want to tour Jerusalem and the rest of your country...I'll come pick it up and fix it for you by the time I have to return! :cool:

Oded

It's broken....Luckily I want to tour Jerusalem and the rest of your country...I'll come pick it up and fix it for you by the time I have to return! :cool:

You are more than welcome 😊. Would love to see many Alta riders in Israel (so far, only 2). Israel in an enduro heaven (less for mx).

Fod

You are more than welcome 😊. Would love to see many Alta riders in Israel (so far, only 2). Israel in an enduro heaven (less for mx).
When my kids get a little older to leave the country and make some memories, we will! I'll hit you up for sure!

Duncan

Here's my take on this: Alta is correct, this is normal for a permanent magnet electric motor. These motors have magnets in the rotor. As the rotor rotates these magnets swipe past the metal lamination sections of the outer stator they are attracted to the stator but since the stator is in sections that attraction is broken as it moves away from the section until it gets near the next lamination section thus the clicking sound. Hope this helps.

Oded

Here's my take on this: Alta is correct, this is normal for a permanent magnet electric motor. These motors have magnets in the rotor. As the rotor rotates these magnets swipe past the metal lamination sections of the outer stator they are attracted to the stator but since the stator is in sections that attraction is broken as it moves away from the section until it gets near the next lamination section thus the clicking sound. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the explanation. The Zero electric bike which I had before, did not exhibit that sound. This is why I asked.

rayivers

The Zero electric bike which I had before, did not exhibit that sound.
Same here, Oded - I think it might be several things:

1) the Alta motor spins nearly 3X as fast as a stock Zero FX motor per unit distance
2) the 14K rpm Alta motor is surely made to tighter specs than the 6K Zero motor, so the magnets may be closer to the stator
3) the magnets may also be more powerful
4) the Zero motor's a lot heavier everywhere, damping the sound

Ray

Oded

Same here, Oded - I think it might be several things:

1) the Alta motor spins nearly 3X as fast as a stock Zero FX motor per unit distance
2) the 14K rpm Alta motor is surely made to tighter specs than the 6K Zero motor, so the magnets may be closer to the stator
3) the magnets may also be more powerful
4) the Zero motor's a lot heavier everywhere, damping the sound

Ray

Agree, and in addition, the Zero's motor is direct drive. The Alta's is geared. Perhaps it contribute as well.

Gertech

I noticed that mine makes that noise as well, but not all the time. It doesn't seem to do it after it's been sitting parked for a while and I don't turn on the key, just push the bike. Then it's smooth and makes no clicking noise.

MattB

I design RC Helicopters as my primary business. They require high power brushless motors similar to the one used in the Alta (just a little smaller) Brushless motor cogging is definitely normal. Depending on the motor design, it may have more or less cogging. The cogging of the motor is probably causing the gears to slap together when there is no load.

Kurlon

That was the first thing I noticed when I test rode the MXR, pushing it around while it was off feeling the motor cogging... was not expecting that after years of gassers in neutral.