Charging the SM with the stand alone charger?

wwmotors

Morning guys from cold Germany, I will get the last SM in a few weeks. The plan is, to ride it on a Indoor supermototrack. But there, I need to charge quicker than the poor onboard charging system. Did someone convert it already, that it works with the standardcharger or powercharger? Is there a softwre change needed also ? Thanks for Your replies! Cheers WW

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
As of right now, no one had converted an SM to use either the standard or rapid charger. At this point, the challenges are many to accomplish that.

wwmotors

I Think, it should be not much difference, wether the charger is in or beside the bike. So if I get rid of the onboard charger and change the plug like on an MX and the software knows somehow (I will get the laptop also!!) that there is more energy to work with, it should be possible! Does someone know, how many SM where built by ALTA? I think, You can count it on 2 hands!

bluefxstc

Since you are going to have both an EX and an SM, probably the easiest way to accomplish the conversion is to swap the relevant parts between the bikes so that your EX becomes an SM and your SM becomes the EX. I believe the basic frame, motor, inverter, battery... are all the same between the non R pack bikes. The EX would then have the on board charger and the SM would have the faster external charger. Converting the SM to external charging is certainly technically possible, but even if you could get the necessary parts it would be difficult. You have the laptop so that is a big step, but you need to change the bike's software, which from my limited understanding, is defined by the bikes Vin number and requires connection to the Alta server which may be no more. A couple of hours swapping suspension, wheels/tires, brakes and maybe some plastic and you are done. The EX and SM programming are different so that would also switch, but your SM would the have the external charger.

datadog

You would need to change the entire wire harness and the DCCP, plus update firmware. That's probably not possible, because those parts can't be purchased from Alta anymore. Only solution I can think of is to put SM suspension and wheels on an EX as described above.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Also, this has been mentioned on this forum before, an MXR/EXR is a much better supermoto platform because of less heat and faster charging. You may not be able to charge your SM/EX fast enough, or at all, after coming back from a session with an overheated battery.

You could, of course, buy SM wheels and brakes for your EX and bring both bikes to the track. Then you should be able to get enough if riding done.

wwmotors

Also, this has been mentioned on this forum before, an MXR/EXR is a much better supermoto platform because of less heat and faster charging. You may not be able to charge your SM/EX fast enough, or at all, after coming back from a session with an overheated battery.

You could, of course, buy SM wheels and brakes for your EX and bring both bikes to the track. Then you should be able to get enough if riding done.

Hey Philip, I did already convert my MXR like You mentioned. The indoor Supermototrack is not very fast, so I can go 40-50 min with one charge. So it is more than OK, to do that also with the stock SM bike. I do not think, we will overheat the battery there! May be I stay with that solution and try to legalize the SM for the streetuse, but this is extremely expensive here! The EMC test is very expensive and hard to get in Germany! Cheers WW

Judaslefourbe

You would need to change the entire wire harness and the DCCP, plus update firmware. That's probably not possible, because those parts can't be purchased from Alta anymore.
The swap also required manually changing the VIN setup in our server so it would point to DCCP insteado of OBC. So definitely not possible as it stands.