Certificate of Origin for DMV

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
The NHTSA VIN lookup is searching the on road VIN database and the VARG is obviously an off road only motorcycle, so this may be the issue. We are working to get this sorted out now. Thank your for you patience.

- That isnt true. The VIN itself dictates what the vehicle is on road and off road. If Stark did there VIN structure (a VIN decoder would be great) that would indicate whether or not the VIN is off road only or not.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I’m in uk.What’s an MCO? Is that what stark are sending people as the COC?
Thanks
MCO - Manufacturer Certificate of Origin. Usually that is the document that comes with a vehicle (we used to make them for the Altas)
COC - Certificate of Compliance/Conformity - thats usually for a part or product that has been validated/quality checked (per ISO standards).

rayivers

MCO = Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. The US ones I've gotten have the mfr's name / address and bike specs / VIN / engine # / purchase dealer etc. printed on the front, with buyer / lienholder details handwritten on the rear. Hopefully the MCOs Stark sends will be similar.

Cocopop

Thankyou for explaining.
I’ve previously had “certificates of newness” sent by Kawasaki on a few occasions so I’m guessing that’s an eqiuivlent to the MCO.
Il ask stark for either or whatever there sending out as documents and see what I’m sent.

dpwracing

Also received an email from Stark that they are mailing the MCO.
In addition, here's the info they provided on VECI and engine number:

"Regarding VECI, this is only necessary for on highway vehicles. According to the attached memo from CARB to CA DMV, it is not necessary for the VARG. Please feel free to print this and bring it to the DMV along with your MCO.

We've been advised that an Engine Number is not required for the VARG's electric motor."

The letter from CARB goes into more detail and essentially says the VARG does not need a VECI, emissions sticker, and doesn't have an engine (presumably they are only thinking of ICE engines). So without an engine there is no engine number.

Hopefully with this letter the DMV process can go smoothly.

Attachments

• DMV Memo Electric OHRV_EPA_CARB_April 2021(with highlights and updated contact).pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 21

dpwracing

@dpwracing - you might want to get in writing from Stark about the electric motor part.
It's a bit convoluted, but it's in the CARB memo. My hope is I can talk to a reasonable person that will understand the intent.

"Since zero emissions motorcycles are not powered by an engine, they meet the same under 50 cc exemption from CARB certification. Again, US EPA issues a CoC for zero emissions motorcycles that have met the federal emissions requirements and are legal for sale in all 50 states. These vehicles will display only a US EPA vehicle emission control information (VECI) label."

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
It's a bit convoluted, but it's in the CARB memo. My hope is I can talk to a reasonable person that will understand the intent.

"Since zero emissions motorcycles are not powered by an engine, they meet the same under 50 cc exemption from CARB certification. Again, US EPA issues a CoC for zero emissions motorcycles that have met the federal emissions requirements and are legal for sale in all 50 states. These vehicles will display only a US EPA vehicle emission control information (VECI) label."

Maybe because Alta's were created before this legislation; every Alta that has been registered, CHP/DMV has inspected for the VECI. But if the exemption exists now....whoa

Cocopop

I’ve had reply from stark support to say that the “certificate of newness”(im in uk),is being worked on currently and will be added to peoples accounts online for there bikes as soon as they’ve got it arranged.Great news.

HadesOmega

So metcalf won’t let you ride any e bikes without a title/registration? Makes no sense to me that these parks would make someone with electric no emissions bike register it to get a green sticker. Hahah….can’t even ride a surron at metcalf without a title…?

This state is the dumbest…if not it’s in the top 3

I’m wondering if I’ll get feedback for riding in mccains valley. No way I’m jumping through hoops to pay a yearly registration on this bike when it’s electric. I don’t need a spark arrestor, I don’t have any emissions, I don’t want to pay you state of CA.

You tax my pay, tax what I buy, tax what I own, tax what I save, tax what I have paid taxes on when I sell it. I’m done with this.

They got what they wanted…it’s green. They should be more worried about the generator I’m using to charge it…haha. That’s right anything under 25hp is banned!!! Just wait until they start making us register generators and issue us registration because they have emissions….
They want you to pay the OHV fees. Its not about emissions. The fees that we pay for the stickers go to supporting our OHV programs. I recently went to Metcalf Motorcycle Park and they turned away a dude that had an Ultra Bee because he didn't have any registration. He said was in the process of getting an OHV sticker but that wasn't good enough. I've been riding my Light Bee at Metcalf for 4+ years because I have a moped plate and they said that at the end of the year you can't do that as well and he explained that the we are not paying the OHV fees or registration every year (2 years for the sticker). So if I want to ride at OHV places in California I need to get a green sticker. I haven't been too worried because I pretty use my Light Bee for racing only now. So in the future if a ranger catches you without registration you'll get fined.

Swank171

They want you to pay the OHV fees. Its not about emissions. The fees that we pay for the stickers go to supporting our OHV programs. I recently went to Metcalf Motorcycle Park and they turned away a dude that had an Ultra Bee because he didn't have any registration. He said was in the process of getting an OHV sticker but that wasn't good enough. I've been riding my Light Bee at Metcalf for 4+ years because I have a moped plate and they said that at the end of the year you can't do that as well and he explained that the we are not paying the OHV fees or registration every year (2 years for the sticker). So if I want to ride at OHV places in California I need to get a green sticker. I haven't been too worried because I pretty use my Light Bee for racing only now. So in the future if a ranger catches you without registration you'll get fined.
I guess the point I was making is they desguise it as some sort of environmental concern as they do everything and it’s all just another tax. If it’s not for the environment then it’s a tax to ride your bike on the land we are already paying taxes on to maintain.

I was being more sarcastic but it’s lost in translation.

dpwracing

Exactly. The difference in CA is they make you title/register it before paying the OHV fee, creating all this complexity. It's been a while but in OR I recall they just wanted a VIN for the OHV sticker which makes it much simpler.

dpwracing

Also received an email from Stark that they are mailing the MCO.
In addition, here's the info they provided on VECI and engine number:

"Regarding VECI, this is only necessary for on highway vehicles. According to the attached memo from CARB to CA DMV, it is not necessary for the VARG. Please feel free to print this and bring it to the DMV along with your MCO.

We've been advised that an Engine Number is not required for the VARG's electric motor."

The letter from CARB goes into more detail and essentially says the VARG does not need a VECI, emissions sticker, and doesn't have an engine (presumably they are only thinking of ICE engines). So without an engine there is no engine number.

Hopefully with this letter the DMV process can go smoothly.
Just got back from CHP and they signed off on the Reg31 (VIN verification). I took my invoice, the CARB letter, and bill of lading with me.
Now just waiting for the MCO to arrive from Stark and I will take both docs to the DMV.

notna

Has anyone received their MCO yet? They said my MCO should be in the mail 2 weeks ago and I still haven't received it. They stopped responding to any follow-up questions regarding MCO.

dpwracing

Has anyone received their MCO yet? They said my MCO should be in the mail 2 weeks ago and I still haven't received it. They stopped responding to any follow-up questions regarding MCO.
Same here. I've emailed Start support twice about the MCO and get no response. I bet this is the issue that caused them to stop sale in the US.
You'd think you could have a few people in the US that should know a thing or two about regulatory requirements before you sell your product here.

notna

Same here. I've emailed Start support twice about the MCO and get no response. I bet this is the issue that caused them to stop sale in the US.
You'd think you could have a few people in the US that should know a thing or two about regulatory requirements before you sell your product here.
They just replied that their admin in US ran out of paper and will be sending out MCOs soon 😅