Alta SM and Supermoto Track Day Questions

snydes

Staff member
I just wanted to jump in and say hi as I come up with more questions than answers. Thank you all for being here as I was very hesitant with buying a bike with what it seems the only support is this forum. Sam

Hello Sam,
Welcome to the forum. This is a good group here. If you have any questions on navigating the forum feel free to reach out to myself or Philip. There is a test area you can use if needed here;
https://altaownersforum.com/forums/test-area.42/

You can also use this General discussion section for most all non specific topics, but don’t fear if you post in the wrong place, we won’t chase you off ;)

You can use some of your social distancing time reading up on your new toy, have fun!

2018SM

Hi. Thank you. I’ll give the test a try ( even workout studying 😄). Am I far off in my general concerns are: ?
1. Soft/firm ware updates and repairs
2. Battery repair and replacement
3. Parts and repair
4. Faster charging for the SM

snydes

Staff member
Firmware updates are possible with a diagnostic laptop setup, which we have well documented here. That is only necessary if the previous owner did not already have the bike updated (obviously).

Fortunately for A pack bike owners (SM, EX, MX) there are batteries and parts floating around, and problems are rare.

Parts are actually not much of an issue (so far), we are fortunate to have the liquidator who purchased Alta’s parts inventory as a member here, and they sell everything on eBay and also offer special forum deals periodically.

As far as the charging goes, that sort of is what it is. If the bike is running the latest firmware and you have the 240v adapter cord, that’s as good as its ever going to get.

:)

2018SM

Awesome. The previous owner bought the adapters for a lap top but did not plug in before he sold it to me so hopefully I can check into that first. Anyone special to go to for howto get my laptop to work through the process ?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Based on the sale pictures, it could be updated. Try pressing the left button on the display to see if it changes into KPH from MPH(Last known big update included that).

Also dont know if your planning to reinstall the number plates on the SM, but wonderfully those plates require screws and wonderful little compression limiters.

Enjoy!

2018SM

Yeah!! It does change MPH to KPH. So that means I have the latest?
I have the plates and want to put them back on for the dirt set up, guess I have to track down the original hardware.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Yeah!! It does change MPH to KPH. So that means I have the latest?
I have the plates and want to put them back on for the dirt set up, guess I have to track down the original hardware.

Its a good indicator.

Original hardware will be fun. Especially the compression limiters and bolts. Those arent available from the liquidator.

Bolts are: Robot Check - M5x12mm

Compression limiters...

2018SM

Got it. Been working on downloading the software to my Mac but it does not seem to like it. Looks like it may like Microsoft better. I’ll try on a regular laptop. So Iif I end up having the latest, or get it installed, what is the part that I need to convert to using a charger at a rest stop or a 220 at home?
thanks again. I’m sorry for so many questions. I’ll catch up soon.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Got it. Been working on downloading the software to my Mac but it does not seem to like it. Looks like it may like Microsoft better. I’ll try on a regular laptop. So Iif I end up having the latest, or get it installed, what is the part that I need to convert to using a charger at a rest stop or a 220 at home?
thanks again. I’m sorry for so many questions. I’ll catch up soon.

Welp heres another answer. Your going to have to use Linux to run Multitool. Dont worry about questions...its not like I can do anything thanks to this quarantine.

2018SM

Wow. Ok. I’m gonna have to consult my local computer geek for that step. I’ll let it soak in for a bit and give it a shot soon. I’m with you on not much to do. I must hand cleaned my garage about 5 times now. I thought I was in good shape when I finally learned to properly jet a bike then came fuel injection, now this is a new step up. 😄