2018 MXR - LACC Tunica Hills race report

CK696

Tunica Hills.jpg

Hey guys!

I was 117 miles into my MXR at the beginning of the race, and not a single mile was not loved. Good lord is this bike fun. Anyway, an update on my ergonomic issues in the cockpit first...

I took it to my race sponsored dealer, Champion Cycle Center, in Covington, LA. Spoke to the guys there, including the owner who is a former BADD@$$ in racing around these parts. He is a quiet type, so I'll not mention his name directly, but most long time racers know his name. He told me to forget all the measurements, and do what 'feels' right. I explained how I felt, and after a discussion, I decided to change the bars to Pro-Taper High Bend bars, which gained me about 1.5" or so. No riser clamps. I also moved them forward one bolt, on the triple tree clamp. This was the ticket. Love it.

Also, my rear hand brake came in, and was installed. After a few hours of riding, I feel more comfortable, but still not where I want to be. But, at this point, the bike is as mod'd as I am planning to make her.

Sunday's race was expected to me a slop fest, down here in Louisiana. It rained a ton in the previous week leading up to the race, but I'll be damned if the trail didn't turn out just perfect. Tons of sand and tree cover, along with a completely fresh cut trail really made the difference.

I got there 2 hours early, and again I was a rockstar. I showed off a bit more this time, as I feel much better on the bike. Rode some wheelies, let some people ride her around the starting area, and drank the tears of all the guys who dared challenge me to drag races on their ICE bikes while we were practicing starts. I was all smiles.

Last race I was still getting comfortable on the MXR, and although I got the holeshot with ease, I caused a wreck behind me involving my riding friend, because I was so hard on the breaks going into turn 1. He is in for the championship, and I am not. So, this time I gave him my first gate pic, I took his gate pick, and started on the farthest outside gate, with 8 empty gates between me and the next closest bike. My plan was to let everyone get a jump, and I'll just cruise in behind, and start picking off slower racers.

At the jump, I paused half a second, heard the roar of the other bikes, and then just flat dropped the hammer. I was in map 3, let her pull my arms out until I felt the rear fender touch my butt, and held on for life and a controlled 200 yard wheelie. I mean... POWER! It makes my hair stand up again, just writing how this felt. I lined up for the outside rut of the 180 degree left hand turn one, she stuck like a razor blade in the dirt, exited the turn and pulled a wheelie again coming out. I looked left to the inside as I exited the corner and there was... no one. I looked back behind me, down that long straight before we dumped into the woods, and I had 12 bike lengths. It was... This must be what great riders feel.

Lap one was a disaster really. It was chaos out there. Tons of tight woods and elevation changes, with bikes down everywhere. I got stuck in traffic, took poor lines trying to go around, and basically was just 'that guy'. You know, when every decisions you make costs you another position? By the time I finished lap one, I was in 8th, I think.

Lap two was a little better, still had guys blocking the trail in some spots, getting stuck in deep rooted ruts, or downed in a bad spot with only one line. Came through in 6th.

Lap three was a little better again, still some traffic, but almost a clean lap. Still in 6th.

Lap four was great. Clean lap, no traffic. Cut my lap time down by 4 minutes on that one, moved into 5th, closing fast. I'll be honest, I though this was the last lap. Went though the check with the white flag, and had about 15% battery left. Ruh Roh.

Lep 5 started awesome. Closed up on the rear tire of 4th, and could see 3rd though the trees. I mean, I am really cooking. I felt fresh, the bike is so easy to ride. Hill climbs are basically a non-issue. She eats the sand like its a joke. Just a dream. Right when I was about to make a move on 4th... The battery died.

The course was about 7 miles long, and about 60% deep sand. Which was wet, and that made it a little better. But, there is no way she is making it 35 miles in a sand race. I should have known better, but I was feeling so good, and in that mental racing fog after 90 minutes... I'll be honest, I was just dumb. I should have pulled off at the white flag. But, it was still awesome.

Anyway, I'll spare you the details of me pushing that monster out of a sand wash for 300+ yards, then trying to getting her to the forest service road. Then, getting my truck stuck in the mud. Then finally getting back, just in time to collect my holeshot award. It certainly was an adventure.

So, 30.7 miles on map 2 (I do the start in map 3), in some deep sand, at race speeds. Not too bad.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Next time hear a Garmin VIRB 360 camera. I want to see what a holeshot wheelie looks like, along with all the other bikes chasing you.

CK696

@Philip My wife took a video, but her phone is dying. She posted it on facebook, but it cuts out until the very end, when I look over my shoulder. I was super bummed.

CK696

Here is another pic that was posted by the races photographer. As you can see, I dumped her a couple times on the left hand guard. But, it does show you that awesome rear hand brake.

Tunica Hills2.jpg