Withdrawn 2018 MXR 16k

Matt

E-Rider
I am going to start off by saying I don't want to sell my Alta and have no true intentions of selling it but I would take 16k if somone offered me that for a what I have. I will leave the details of the bike relatively vague because it will take a while to type everything out and I don't want to sell it lol. If by chance anyone is interested you can message me for more specific details.

115 hrs, at least 2.5k in parts(examples include wheels, skid frame, swingarm, BCU, ect), racetech suspension (gold valves), no issues, bottom module was replaced and I still have the bad module (one bad p group), footpegs, flex bars, left hand brake, latest firmware.

I won't sell for less that 16k. Again, I don't want to sell but I would for that price.

Part of me is just curious if Altas will retain their value with the new Stark bike haha.

The value break down for 16k is below:
Bike with skid plate left hand brake and fast charger: 11,900
Flex bars: 400
Suspension: 1000
Parts: 2500
Generator: 200

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I could be wrong and hope I am but I have a feeling resale will drop considerably. I’m planning to keep mine until stark or others prove they aren’t going anywhere haha don’t need another bike with no part/service support.
Why do you think our resale is going to drop? Its still the best electric motocross bike you can buy and i bet it still will be competitive against the Varg.. The Varg won't be available for another year or so.

Matt

E-Rider
Why do you think our resale is going to drop? Its still the best electric motocross bike you can buy and i bet it still will be competitive against the Varg.. The Varg won't be available for another year or so.
My only thought personally is while it may be a bit until they are being delivered they are pricing the Varg competitively to the Alta resale values and people may see this as a sign that Altas should have a lower value than the Varg

BD114

Yeah I’m more so thinking they will level back to more reasonable prices. I mean we saw some used Alta’s go in the 12-15k usd range this past year. I can’t see that continuing if a brand new stark is priced at 13k for the top model. I’m assuming most people would rather wait it out and get a new stark that has part support and some new features etc. But who knows. Maybe those prices don’t include the chargers/smart phone display? Not enough info yet! Time will tell - I certainly hope they succeed. I’ll be a customer if it works out. Can’t imagine not having an electric mx bike now!

Trialsman

Their site says the phone and chargers come included with the price of the bike. Of the two versions they have, 60hp and 80hp (+$1,000), Is there a reduction in range for the 60hp version? Also, would there be a weight reduction if they are using fewer cells? They say they will be shipped from a distributor in Fla. Interesting, but I love my Alta EXRs.

Matt

E-Rider
Their site says the phone and chargers come included with the price of the bike. Of the two versions they have, 60hp and 80hp (+$1,000), Is there a reduction in range for the 60hp version? Also, would there be a weight reduction if they are using fewer cells? They say they will be shipped from a distributor in Fla. Interesting, but I love my Alta EXRs.
I am guessing that 1000 dollar 80hp bump is either entirely a software update or minor changes to support higher current draw.

Matt

E-Rider
If I could get 60hp and 6hrs of eastern woods riding, it would probably be enough.
I would expect for trail riding very similar range to the Alta, likely a bit better but not drastically. The battery is almost the same size. Thermal limiting will hopefully be reduced so moto should get a range bump for the fast guys.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I am guessing that 1000 dollar 80hp bump is either entirely a software update or minor changes to support higher current draw.
It’s the cleaning bill to get the poo stains off the seat when you see if 80hp is really enough to clear that 200 ft gap and other sketchy shenanigans.

Mark XEMX

16K is a very steep price. I see the price of E Bikes (Alta's) coming down as more options become available.
Unfortunately Altas will become a very small niche group as there where only 1200 made. Or so.
Hang on to it for thirty years it may become a rare vintage Elec Bike.

When battery Tech advances to the next Chemistry you will see dozens of bike company's coming on line.
And the big brand names will take center stage on the bulk of the market.

WMR is a really great shop. They do good work and will most likely service the Stark bike as they have the Alta's.
What most haven't considered is that price is the cost of the Bike. There will be added cost for the Tariff's, dealer
fee's, taxes and so on. I am sure WMR will tack on a hefty dealer fee, especially on the first hundred bikes.

Matt

E-Rider
16K is a very steep price. I see the price of E Bikes (Alta's) coming down as more options become available.
Unfortunately Altas will become a very small niche group as there where only 1200 made. Or so.
Hang on to it for thirty years it may become a rare vintage Elec Bike.

When battery Tech advances to the next Chemistry you will see dozens of bike company's coming on line.
And the big brand names will take center stage on the bulk of the market.

WMR is a really great shop. They do good work and will most likely service the Stark bike as they have the Alta's.
What most haven't considered is that price is the cost of the Bike. There will be added cost for the Tariff's, dealer
fee's, taxes and so on. I am sure WMR will tack on a hefty dealer fee, especially on the first hundred bikes.
It's steep because I don't actually want to sell it haha. That's the value of it to me. Also that does include a lot of extras. I am valuing the bike alone around 11,900 which is still steep but at least more reasonable. That being said I wouldn't split it all up so

autohog

This one, I assume. I hear it is faster than a 450!

If this bike had a clutch, and in a perfect world a mobile app with custom map availability, it would hand's down be the best bike ever made IMO. Belt drive would be nice too. Heartbreaking to think those things would of come in time if Alta wouldn't have got in bed w HD :(

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Two things. Clutches and Electric motors arent the bestest of friends. Brammo did a clutch application on there street bike...which turned into a dealer reader of "leave it in third". Yes dirt bikes are a different animal in the 2-wheel space but the application of a clutch is more complicated. Brammo ended up adding an extra development time because they wanted to run a clutch.

Secondly. We never got into "bed" w HD. Welcome to how a company tries to scale and then has a series of unfortunate events.

autohog

Apologies, no disrespect probably a bad choice of words I am still lamenting over the loss of Alta. The Stark VARG has eased the pain though. Regarding the clutch, I completely disagree. Having come from a background and family of trials riders both Gas Gas, Electric Motion, and even the new Yamaha have paired a clutch with their electric motors. It would be really difficult to compete at a high level without rider control of wheel spin. I believe the same will hold true for both motocross and enduro. Without a clutch, you are simply at a disadvantage.

F451

... I believe the same will hold true for both motocross and enduro. Without a clutch, you are simply at a disadvantage.

Disagree for motocross and SX, the electric dirt bike power is so easy to control, so precise, instant response, exact same response every time, so much torque. No jetting/power issues with humidity, temp, elevation, etc. I've never read or heard of Josh Hill or any other top MX/SX rider who has spent time on an Alta ever mention the lack of a clutch as an issue.

Hard enduro, trials, I can see the desire, anything else, not seeing the need.

Top Bottom