Sold 2018 Alta Redshift MXR...

Ben990

Excellent condition, low hours (17.7). Located near Rochester, NY.

$8500 or best offer.

Also have dealer laptop, $500.

I am listing this for a friend of mine; if you are interested, let me know and I'll get you his contact info.

IMG_0394.JPEG

IMG_0393.JPEG

IMG_0392.JPEG

IMG_0391.JPEG

IMG_0389.JPEG

IMG_0388.JPEG

IMG_0390.JPEG

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I'm looking at the street legal aspect. Isnt that tied to the title branding (eg,."off road use only")?
It varies depending on the State you are registering it in, some are easier than others.
Some states just need a dealer to sign off that it has all dot equipment present, like Washington State. I am not sure what kind of regulations New York imposes.

Ben990

How would you know if a bike has this issue? Will it display some error code? To the best of my knowledge, this bike has never displayed any error code, and runs perfect.

snydes

Staff member
How would you know if a bike has this issue? Will it display some error code? To the best of my knowledge, this bike has never displayed any error code, and runs perfect.

If it has the latest firmware, and has some time on it with the latest firmware, then it's very likely not affected. If it doesn't have the latest firmware and this internal problem in the battery exists, the software will not detect the issue and the bike will seem fine, but the reality is the battery is essentially wounded and a portion of it will degrade at an accelerated rate.

Marlle

If it has the latest firmware, and has some time on it with the latest firmware, then it's very likely not affected. If it doesn't have the latest firmware and this internal problem in the battery exists, the software will not detect the issue and the bike will seem fine, but the reality is the battery is essentially wounded and a portion of it will degrade at an accelerated rate.

Is this issue something that can be fixed by using the multitool, or is it something that can’t be fixed at all?.

Thanks

Marlle

Ok, so if I were to buy one at a dealer, then the only reason to be sure that this problem doesn’t occur is to ask them check with the multitool?.

Otherwise the only way to get rid of the problem is a new battery or?.

How many models were affected with this problem?.

Thanks for answering my questions:). I really appreciate it.

snydes

Staff member
New bikes scare me a little because they don’t have the time necessary to shake out any problems. In order to accurately confirm there are no existing imbalance issues is to check the bike with multitool at different charge levels. Also, the dealer version of multitool does not have the battery graph that you want to see. I believe dealer multitool does display some voltage values, but the graph is far better for this.

My advice to you for any potential NEW bike you are looking at purchasing is to require a screenshot of the battery graph from the engineering version of multitool at both 50% and 100% SOC. Any 2019 Alta with some hours on it should be a safe bet, as well as any 2018 with the latest firmware and hours on it with the latest firmware.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Marlle

The problem is that i live in Denmark, and I found a dealer in the us with a really good quote for the MXR 2018.

I don’t know I he has the skills to run the test you mentioned?. I will ask him and see what he says.

The vin ends with 290 so it is in the lower end. But as I have understand, the chances are 50-50 in terms of it having the battery issue when we are talking vin numbers below 400 right?.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Its not really a test that needs to be run. All they need to do is hook up the bike with the proper cabling to a laptop that has MultiTool and send you a screenshot of the battery tab, which shows the voltages of each parallel battery group. If the pack is healthy, you'll see relatively flat/even p-group voltages when the battery has been charged or discharged. If the pack has a code 36(wirebond) issue, when the battery is charged or discharged, the voltage for those p-groups with a broken wire bond will change at a different rate than the rest.

snydes

Staff member
Not exactly, the voltage of the bad P-group does change, it's that it does not stay in balance with the rest, and just viewing a screenshot at one SOC is only part of the picture. The only voltage that does not change is from the disconnected cell, and that you can not see in multitool. Depending on what SOC the pack was when the wire broke dictates how it will behave at different SOC's. I've seen one that when at 100% it looked dead perfect, but as soon as you dropped below 100% it quickly went to crap. Another at 100% would look so far out of wack you could see the graph spike from across the room. Chances are though that a single shot of the graph will give you a fairly good chance of seeing and imbalance though.

snydes

Staff member
The problem is that i live in Denmark, and I found a dealer in the us with a really good quote for the MXR 2018.

I don’t know I he has the skills to run the test you mentioned?. I will ask him and see what he says.

The vin ends with 290 so it is in the lower end. But as I have understand, the chances are 50-50 in terms of it having the battery issue when we are talking vin numbers below 400 right?.

A dealer will not have the version of multitool we are referencing unless he took it upon himself to download the leaked version. It's certainly a gamble, the bikes with problems were the exception, not the norm, but I'd hate to see you gamble and lose especially with the amount of effort and expense required to purchase and ship that bike from the other side of the pond.

290 is a fairly early bike, so it's definitely in the suspect VIN range. I'd say the odds are much better than 50/50, but I don't like gambling!

Top Bottom