2017 vs. 2018/2019

24X

Hello everyone,

10 years ago I moved to the city and sold my dirt bike because I didn’t have room for maintenance or want to deal with angry neighbors. Imagine my joy when I found out technology had advanced to this point while I was away! I’m very much looking forward to returning to MX on an Alta. I was originally gonna buy a new 2018 MX but I found a good deal on a used 2017 MX and am wondering if any of you have thoughts about the ‘17 model vs. the ‘18. I’d be saving about 2k.

I’ve read about soft suspension and the bike losing power as the battery runs out of juice. Any other issues? I plan on riding practice tracks mostly, but I do like to go fast. Any input will be very helpful, thanks everyone!

metallic88

Hello everyone,

10 years ago I moved to the city and sold my dirt bike because I didn’t have room for maintenance or want to deal with angry neighbors. Imagine my joy when I found out technology had advanced to this point while I was away! I’m very much looking forward to returning to MX on an Alta. I was originally gonna buy a new 2018 MX but I found a good deal on a used 2017 MX and am wondering if any of you have thoughts about the ‘17 model vs. the ‘18. I’d be saving about 2k.

I’ve read about soft suspension and the bike losing power as the battery runs out of juice. Any other issues? I plan on riding practice tracks mostly, but I do like to go fast. Any input will be very helpful, thanks everyone!
as far as i know the mx are the exact same(except the 2018 got white plastics) between years as well as the mxr so far. but the mx suspesion is junk out the box after revalve and respring its livable. as for the power at a quarter battery map 4 turns into map 3 its noticable but its not a huge hit like most make it out to be.

Rocketz152

I would recommend the mxr... You get alot more for your money (top of the line suspension, better battery performance as you already mentioned, also another 10 hp) the mxr will hang with 450s easily and if you're going to be riding on a track the suspension upgrade alone is worth the price difference...just my 2 cents.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The extra ~$2-3K that you will pay for the MXR is worth the money if you are going to use your bike for hard racing or fast riding. The battery can take more abuse, it has 8hp more (used to be 10hp), and it comes with the latest WP suspension, which is rideable in the stock form.

On the other hand, the MX suspension can be quickly re-sprung and revalved, and then you can enjoy the MX just as much.

24X

Great, thanks for your input everyone! I may pull the trigger on an MXR after these replies and doing some more research.