Yamaha Europe is working on a full size e-MX bike!

FrancoLizard

This bike, and others like it, appears to fit an electric motor and battery into an ICE-derived chassis. I'm sure that's the path of least resistance with a prototype, but I'd like to see more companies re-imagining their chassis around specific electric components. Looks like more of an experiment than a commitment. No one likes losing money, but I wish the major manufacturers had more of an appetite for risk.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This bike, and others like it, appears to fit an electric motor and battery into an ICE-derived chassis. I'm sure that's the path of least resistance with a prototype, but I'd like to see more companies re-imagining their chassis around specific electric components. Looks like more of an experiment than a commitment. No one likes losing money, but I wish the major manufacturers had more of an appetite for risk.
I totally agree. But the thing is, the main technological and performance hurdle has been the battery -- its piece cost, weight, capacity, and thermal management. Once OEMs think they could bring these items into acceptable ranges, and once they are convinced that John Public is willing to pay extra for the electric throttle response, no noise, and no maintenance, they will make a custom frame that will fit the electric motor and the battery better. Making a new frame is probably the least difficult of all the tasks that they have to complete.

privateer703

AOF Addict
In that article they say “The higher torque of the electric motor is a big advantage and enables much higher traction on the circuit.” I think what they meant to say was the higher torque enables much more roost. Not sure more torque = more traction, actually I've found the opposite. If you have traction as good as the next guy, higher torque can mean higher acceleration. But hey, they're working on electric bikes so sure, better traction!

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
In that article they say “The higher torque of the electric motor is a big advantage and enables much higher traction on the circuit.” I think what they meant to say was the higher torque enables much more roost. Not sure more torque = more traction, actually I've found the opposite. If you have traction as good as the next guy, higher torque can mean higher acceleration. But hey, they're working on electric bikes so sure, better traction!
Electric motors must generate more static electricity. Rub a ballon on your hair and it will stick to the wall. Using the same logic, that’s gotta increase traction somehow! Imagine being able to go up a 90 degree wall like friggin’ Spiderman! Let’s see an ICE bike do that. (Not including Graham Jarvis, since he already has magic mag-lev units in his bikes.)

ElectricMoto