WP Trax

73Thing

Aloha Philip, there are no numbers on the spring but the sticker on the fork says: shock spring 4.6.
Problem is I am new to motocross and don't know shit from Shinola so looking for advise from those who are in the know.

snydes

Staff member
The Trax shock is a bit of a challenge from what I’ve read. @Mark911 has experience with it and from what I gathered it worked best when the additional features of that unit were disabled.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Buy a new shock as opposed to just a spring? Is the Alta shock better than a WP Trax?
You are a beginner. The best shock for you is the one that is known and works well for many other riders.

Correction: Just saw your post in Vin Id. Congrats on having a rare and famous bike!

The stock Alta spring has the rate of 60 N/mm. You can buy it for under $100. Or you could buy a complete MXR shock for $300 and sell the Trax shock to someone who is willing to pay $800-1,000 for it.

What do you have in the front? The stock AER48 forks? If so, then I would definitely go with the matching stock shock in the rear.

73Thing

I have decided to just send the forks and shock out to be tuned to me. I am thinking KTM World, Factory Connection, I don't think Kreft Moto is doing Alta tuning anymore?
Who would you guys recommend?

73Thing

Ok KTM it is.
The sticker on the 18 MXR (Ty) bike has the Trax shock spring as 4.6. That seams very soft for what I have learned.
Race Tech has a spring rate of 5.8, big difference. Hum?

snydes

Staff member
That does sound soft, especially considering Ty looked like a pretty tall/big guy.

There is a large number of members who have used KTM World here and are very happy with their settings. Not to say there aren’t other tuners who can do a good job as well, but I don’t think you can go wrong with KTM World. Get yourself a Plano double gun case, wrap each fork and the shock in something for extra protection in case they come in contact with each other inside the gun case and send ‘em down to Georgia.