Would you Pull the Trigger on a New MXR

btreid23

I bought an EXR a few months ago and use it as a commuter. Riding the EXR is the most fun I've had riding in a long time.
But, I really want to get an MXR for MX and Trail Riding.

FYI: I love the forum and really respect everyone's opinion.

I want to get an MXR to do some serious trail riding and maybe an MX race or two.
But it's another 10 grand to spend on a bike that may only last a few days, a few weeks, or never have an issue.

High Risk / High Reward

If it was your money, what would you do?

snydes

Staff member
At this time I’m pretty confident on our ability to keep them running, some issues are harder to resolve, specifically the code 36 issues. I wouldn’t pay 10k at this point for one though.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I bought an EXR a few months ago and use it as a commuter. Riding the EXR is the most fun I've had riding in a long time.
But, I really want to get an MXR for MX and Trail Riding.

FYI: I love the forum and really respect everyone's opinion.

I want to get an MXR to do some serious trail riding and maybe an MX race or two.
But it's another 10 grand to spend on a bike that may only last a few days, a few weeks, or never have an issue.

High Risk / High Reward

If it was your money, what would you do?

I was in this exact same situation and it was my money. I bought the MXR for singletrack to add to the EXR already being used for aggressive dual-sporting, grocery store runs, etc. There is definitely some risk and some limitation with these bikes, but the capability and fun can't be beat. The members of this forum are providing amazing support, but also realize that you and I are a long way from most of those other members.

I would also say that $10K may be about as good as you'll do after suspension work, 18 inch rear wheel and tire, barkbusters, and other woods riding upgrades; especially if you're looking at new bikes with a charger from a dealer. As others said, look around for a deal if you decide to get the bike.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I get a kick out of people who claim the bike isn't worth 10K new. I think that's crazy. I always respond like this:

How much is the following worth to you?
  • Your hearing in the long term
  • Ability to ride in more places without pissing people off (IE, you get to ride more)
  • Never having to worry about clutching and shifting
  • Never having to worry about hitting false neutral going up the face of a jump
  • No traditional engine related maintenance even
  • Zero vibration
  • More torque than a stock 450 with the ability to act like any other bike with ease
  • More traction than a 4-stroke
  • Owning a limited edition bike (less than 1000 sold).
  • etc etc

Geci

I get a kick out of people who claim the bike isn't worth 10K new. I think that's crazy. I always respond like this:

How much is the following worth to you?
  • Your hearing in the long term
  • Ability to ride in more places without pissing people off (IE, you get to ride more)
  • Never having to worry about clutching and shifting
  • Never having to worry about hitting false neutral going up the face of a jump
  • No traditional engine related maintenance even
  • Zero vibration
  • More torque than a stock 450 with the ability to act like any other bike with ease
  • More traction than a 4-stroke
  • Owning a limited edition bike (less than 1000 sold).
  • etc etc
But then there are the limitations:
  • No parts available or extremely expensive
  • Battery drains relatively quick during hard riding
  • Long recharge times
  • Fear of crashing and braking something
  • No dealer support (dealer support is a piece of mind for most people)
  • Battery degradation (will play a role in the long run)
  • Most of us can't work on the electrical aspects of it
  • Wish I could finish a 2+ hour hare scramble on it. :)

At this point, if I didn't already own one, I would probably not buy this bike. As much as I love it riding it, I need to be able to get my bikes back up and running in a relatively short period of time and not having to worry about the what ifs.
To me, its feels like buying a dying horse...

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
EXR fits my needs perfectly would buy again - still nothing commercially available comes close to performance

I'm in love with my EXR. Its the perfect bike to tool around town on, rip tight single track, get midweek turn track practice in, etc. So glad i was able to snag one.

evh1

I'm in love with my EXR. Its the perfect bike to tool around town on, rip tight single track, get midweek turn track practice in, etc. So glad i was able to snag one.
Per TCMB and Bionicman, it's simply a well done bike. I just bought a second EXR for under 10k and felt it was a steal. My first EXR is now a woods weapon...literally as I use it for hunting and woods riding and racing. A few specific mods as per any woods bike AND, I can throw the tail piece and blinkers on for a dual sport ride to some gnarly trails. The new EXR will remain in dual sport trim and care taken in where I put it as well as buying a set of rims to keep shod with a Metzler Sahara street n trail tire for summer/commuting.
I'm stoked about the 2 Altas I have and its a blast to rip a quick 15 minute moto in the backyard of a couple acres any time I damn well please...in mid-town!
My $.02

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
My EXR was the best 12.5k I ever spent, but if you found one now for 10k or less, I think you would be getting a reasonable deal. Assuming you are willing to accept that there will be no warranty or dealership support.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
The MXR simply checked all my boxes for what I was looking for in a bike. No traditional maintenance, no carbs to mess with, no oil to change (well, just a little bit), no filters to clean, no fussing with jetting at altitude, no gelled gasoline after sitting in storage, no stalling. No f*¢%ing kickstarting! (Hallelujah!) No waiting for the thing to warm up, or wondering if it will start at all, or if it will keep running if I tip it over. Turn the key and go. Instant power. Silent power.

Excellent suspension right out of the box. No shifting or clutch, so I can concentrate on body position, good technique, and bike placement. I can easily say my riding has improved instantly at least 50% simply because I can concentrate on riding instead of keeping the damn thing running. This bike takes a fraction of the time to prep for riding compared to my old bike, so I can just ride. Fuel switch: nope. Choke: nope. Starter: nope. Kickstarter: Hell Nope! Just get on and ride.

I'm relatively new to dirt, but this bike makes it so easy it probably shouldn't be legal. It has literally put the fun back into riding for me, and that is priceless in my book. I'm enjoying riding again, and I get to share that with my kids, who are growing up way too fast. I'm on the back side of 50 now, and life is too short to worry about whether I should spend the money or not. Life is about creating memories, and this thing is making good ones. It gets me outside and riding, which is a good thing.

Plus my wife will let me park it in the garage because it doesn't smell like gas! That's worth its weight in gold right there.

I knew I was taking a chance when I bought this bike a month ago. I probably overpaid, I admit, but I wanted it and didn't want the opportunity to slip away. I knew the company was belly up, and spare parts would be harder to find than unicorn testicles. But I also saw the benefits of the bike, and nothing else is really even close to this level of quality and capability in the dirt bike world yet. Plus this community is super helpful and crazy resourceful. I'm taking every precaution I can to find and stockpile some of the scarcer parts and learn as much as I can about the unobtanium ones (like the battery) so I can keep this thing running. If we can really keep these things running for 1000 hours, like the company was touting, it will pay for itself several times over in lack of oil changes, top end jobs, clutch rebuilds, pistons, mufflers, blown Knudsen valves, and untold gallons of gasoline. I know it could let me down tomorrow. But for today, it was a super fun kick in the ass to ride and I had a huge grin on my face all day. And I didn't have to change the damned oil when I got home.

So far, an unexpected added bonus is the notoriety. I have yet to take the bike anywhere (whether it is riding at the local off-road park, loading it in my truck, or just washing it in my own freakin' driveway) without someone coming up and asking questions. "Is that what I think it is? I've never seen one in the wild before! Those are soooo cooool!" And this is in a neighborhood that has more Teslas per capita than pretty much anywhere in the world (literally 20 miles from the Tesla factory). I might as well have a new nuclear-powered space Lamborghini. When I brought it home a month ago, I stopped in 3 places to pick up some parts or food, etc. At each stop, people literally gathered around the truck to take a look. That certainly never happened with my old dirt bike.

Risky, yes. Worth it, yes. Would I buy another one? As soon as I get some more money.

evh1

" And this is in a neighborhood that has more Teslas per capita than pretty much anywhere in the world (literally 20 miles from the Tesla factory). I might as well have a new nuclear-powered space Lamborghini. "
Very interesting statement and very humorous! My office parking lot has 2 Teslas here in backward ol Bama and I parked my EXR by them. INSTANT CRED!
When I parked my ICE upper echelon Ducati or Husky there, I get the snear and uppity nose thing..."

" At each stop, people literally gathered around the truck to take a look. That certainly never happened with my old dirt bike. " One them there dam dirty bikers, harumph!...well fugg'em. Give'em hell C5tor