Whymee's 2019 MXR Build

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
Gents,
The $$ are en-route to my friends dealership. The '19 MXR is going to be shipped to me here in WV in the very near future. I hope to get it here in time to race some in October.

So it is time to start modding!

First up is a teaser...

IMG_2745.JPG

This is a set of 0 time Haan wheel set for my 18 TC250 that I only put .6 hours on since new. Hopefully they will fit...

Whymee

Sometimes in my Builds I talk about issues that directly relate to the machine that I am building. This is one such case. Hope you do not mind...

I have been doing some research about generators. Last thing I want to fight at the track is charging issues. And yes I want to be a good neighbor at the track. I want a quiet gen set.

Seems the Alta chargers might be a little finicky when it comes to the generator used. Probably due to the voltage and/or the "dirty" sine wave the cheaper gen sets produce. I personally think the Alta chargers want "clean" voltage. This would mean some type of 240v inverter generator. That narrows down the prospective gen sets immensely. And yes, the cost goes up.

Speaking of clean voltage, I called WEN generators & asked what the Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) is of the electricity produced. They said less than 25% THD. Now keep in mind, that from what I can find, the acceptable THD for an inverter generator is <5%. And I bet a dollar to a doughnut that most cheepie generators out there are going to be around this "dirty" THD output. You can read what dirty power from a gen set can do here. If nothing else understand this: For units that measure greater than 6% THD, the electrical wave can cause sensitive electrical circuits, such as computers or other minor electronics, to lose life. These components may malfunction or operate improperly. Our chargers are more than "minor" electronics. I believe a generator for our Alta's is not a place to be frugal (cheap). 'Nuff said.

Sizing of Gen set: People smarter than me have posted elsewhere on the interwebs, that you should size the generator to be using 80% of its power (running watts) relative to the load you will be using. This makes sense to me. Why run a machine at 100% of its ability/capability , when you can size the gen set for 20% head room and have some room to play with.

The fast charger eats 16 amps @ 240V = 3840 watts + 20% (768) = 4608 watts including overhead. The gen set should produce at least 4608 running watts @240V, if properly sized.

This limits my generator choices, obviously. As of right now, my pick of the chick is a Honda EU6500is/EU7000is. Pretty damn pricey at around 4000 toads. *gulp* I do not like to purchase used electrical items. I might have to look around at the used options that are close to me, if there is any.

Other options are the Briggs Q6500 and the Yamaha EF6300iSDE .

Time to hit up Craigslist...

Also, I have my MSO in hand. Hopefully my MXR will be here the first week of October, or so. I am almost giddy with anticipation! Now I have to design a grafix kit. I will be the first to admit my artistic skills are limited...

Judaslefourbe

The fast charger eats 16 amps @ 240V = 3840 watts + 20% (768) = 4608 watts including overhead. The gen set should produce at least 4608 running watts @240V, if properly sized.

The R charger puts out 3,300W @240V, so provided you live at sea level-sih, a 4,000W generator will provide enough power.

strider

Yes, plan for ~4kW for the Alta. I'm leaning towards the Honda myself. I like how they split the power between the 120 and 240 outlets vs the Yamaha. I will eventually have and additional ~1kW of 120V load spread across the other 3 ebikes in the family (2 Kubergs and an Oset) and would like to be able to charge all of them.

Whymee

The R charger puts out 3,300W @240V, so provided you live at sea level-sih, a 4,000W generator will provide enough power.

I do not have my fast charger yet, so If the above figures are correct, It will take 3960 running watts. A 4K gen set wont do it with 20% head room. IMHO YMMV

240V@ 3,300 watts= 13.75 amps
3300 watts + 20% (660) = 3960 running watts, not surge.

I see another post by Bloak stating he is seeing 2880 watts charging. Not sure if this was close to being topped off, or under half charged. The higher percentage of charge the charger should taper off.

I always have lived by the mantra of "plan for the worst & hope for the best" !

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes in my Builds I talk about issues that directly relate to the machine that I am building. This is one such case. Hope you do not mind...
You are stealing your own thread. It is great that you are receiving replies, people are reading and are interested, but the four posts above are best suited for the Chargers and Generators sub-forum. What about your bike build?

Whymee

You are stealing your own thread. It is great that you are receiving replies, people are reading and are interested, but the four posts above are best suited for the Chargers and Generators sub-forum. What about your bike build?

I considered putting this post about chargers there. I really did.

I decided to put it here because:
1. I am not an electrical expert. I would not like anyone taking what I type as gospel.
2. Mainly for my own info, as I sort out this new mechanical critter, the Alta.

So far the only thing I have in my grubby paws, is the MSO & a bill of sale. Should be here early October.

Maybe I just should shut up until then, eh? :unsure:

I don't know if I can... :giggle:

Whymee

Bike should be picked up this week from the dealer. 'Bout freakin time. I am getting antsy.

The graphics showed up on my doorstep either yesterday or today. I found it today. Do not think I will open it up until I get the bike.

graphics.JPG

Also a forum member WoodsWeapon sold me a skidplate. Good man. Will remain sealed until the machine gets here.

'Tis all for now...

Whymee

I usually buy a full set of plastics with a new bike, so I have the stock plastics to put back on when I sell it.

The front fender is a Polisport.

Fits:
10-13 CRF250R
09-12 CRF450R

Just a heads up if this has not been posted before.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Finally!
I have a 2019 Alta MXR in my garage! #496

alta_1-jpg.1283
CONGRATS!!!
(y)(y)

Whymee

Thanks Phillip! About time, eh? Hurricane delayed it a few days it seems.

Can anyone tell me what front number plate fits this MXR? It stands to reason since it is a CRF fender that a CRF plate would mount up. Just want to make sure. Do not want to order the wrong one.

Replaced the shrouds, F&R fenders earlier. Sure is several different collars & fasteners to take that rear fender off. Somehow I need to figure out a better fastener system. More to come on that.

Started installing my graphics. That rear fender graphic looks to be a bear. So I cut it & going to make it a 3 piece. I may not use the center section. To be decided later.

Here is a sneak peek...

Alta_2_shrouds.jpg

Of course not done yet. Taking my time yanno! I have all weekend!

Whymee

I took the Haan wheel set off of my 2018 TC250 and proceeded to mount them up to my Alta.

I started with the rear first. I ended up using the Alta spacer on the sprocket side & the Haan spacer on the brake side. I also had to machine a 3mm spacer for the brake side. I am waiting on a 53T sprocket & the rear will be done.

The front was another story. Used the Haan spacers. Had to machine 2 6.75mm spacers to center the wheel between the forks. The brake caliper needed 2 6.75mm spacers too.

I am not to sure I am going to run with this setup. I may invest in some AER48 triples & then I can loose all the spacers. I also plan calling Keith at KSR, where I bought this wheel set, & see if he has any spacers that will work with the Alta front end.

I also emailed Dirt Tricks, the mfg. of sprockets & see if they will make me a 53T Rear sprocket. I likey the Zirconium sprockets they sell.

All for now...

Whymee

I wanted to order in some "high maintenance/ wear" Parts.

I have been hearing chatter about the chain defense (I assume on the swingarm) being a high wear item, so I proceeded to hop on the interwebs to look for a fische. I soon come to the conclusion that fisches for Alta's are not out there.

I called my dealer & he said the only thing he has is a parts list, which I will include at the bottom of this post. I looked through this parts list. What a bunch of BS. Almost impossible to find the part you are looking for without a picture to tell you what sub-assembly said part goes to. I hope someone has a better idea here. Although it does have the dealer cost & retail price. Nice.

This forum will not accept .csv files. Bummer...