Why haven't one of the major mfr's released an Alta comparable full sized dirt bike yet?

bluefxstc

Serious question - how many of you would buy an electric dirt bike with followed parameters:
weight 265 lbs
power 40 kW (53 hp)
torque on wheel 8850 lbf in (1000 Nm)
battery 7 kWh
"recharge" in 1 minute
price 15.000 USD
Or may be a better wording - who of us (of you) would be able to sell 400 such bikes a year in the USA?
I'm in. 7kw pack should give me about a 60 mile range on trails which would cover 95% of my riding.

teddyquinn

Serious question - how many of you would buy an electric dirt bike with followed parameters:
weight 265 lbs
power 40 kW (53 hp)
torque on wheel 8850 lbf in (1000 Nm)
battery 7 kWh
"recharge" in 1 minute
price 15.000 USD
Or may be a better wording - who of us (of you) would be able to sell 400 such bikes a year in the USA?

@Sumik Out of curiosity, how hypothetical is this hypothetical?

Sumik

@Sumik Out of curiosity, how hypothetical is this hypothetical?
I'm going to bring 10 of those to Dubya Word Vet Champ in November if I get the official confirmation from the promoter that they would be accepted for the race.
I would like to meet some guys from this unique forum as well to discuss the best possibilities how to market them in the USA. Sorry I'm not allowed to publish more at this moment.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I'm going to bring 10 of those to Dubya Word Vet Champ in November if I get the official confirmation from the promoter that they would be accepted for the race.
I would like to meet some guys from this unique forum as well to discuss the best possibilities how to market them in the USA. Sorry I'm not allowed to publish more at this moment.
When you're prepared to release more details, we will be an enthusiastic audience.

:lurker:

teddyquinn

Thanks for the reply, @Sumik! If you pass through the NYC area, I'll gladly buy you a coffee, breakfast sandwich, beer, etc.

zootie

I only ride tracks, make that one track now. I'm content with our current battery... if recharge was 20 minutes or less, this would be huge and too good to be true! I have loved every ride with my mxr, and it will be my favorite bike of all time. I have gotten used to getting less riding in and a long rest between my motos, but for how well it rides and never having to worry about a miss shift (or worse false neutral) or bike seizing up, very low maintenance, no shifting, ... my mxr is priceless!!!
I agree with you

Motophyllic

I was thinking ultra capacitor as well. More capacity and less weight is one tip-off. By the way, I’m in. If it has the geometry and performance etc. of an Alta, I’d buy two.

Sumik

Probably right. But visions of ultracapacitors were dancing in my head. Someday...
Unfortunately, ultracapacitors haven't been so far develped so that they could replace batteries in electric vehicles. Their gravimetric density is about 20 times lower than at li-on batteries (10 Wh/kg vs. 250 Wh/kg) and the price for 1 kWh is about in the same ratio :rolleyes: Their only meaningful usage in electric vehicles (rather cars than motorbikes) nowadays is for regen braking (high efficiency at high charging currents) and short time acceleration (fast efficient discharge at high currents).

Comparison Batteries and Supercapacitors.JPG

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Unfortunately, ultracapacitors haven't been so far develped so that they could replace batteries in electric vehicles. Their gravimetric density is about 20 times lower than at li-on batteries (10 Wh/kg vs. 250 Wh/kg) and the price for 1 kWh is about in the same ratio :rolleyes: Their only meaningful usage in electric vehicles (rather cars than motorbikes) nowadays is for regen braking (high efficiency at high charging currents) and short time acceleration (fast efficient discharge at high currents).

View attachment 4979
Nice write-up. But don’t go crushing my unrealistic expectations with your pesky, fact-based analysis. A boy can dream, right? All I want is instant charging at 98% efficiency and 10 times the range of the current battery. Is that really too much to ask? Facts are such fickle beasts.

You should just do what all the other manufacturers do and selectively lie to me to keep my hopes up. Just cherry-pick the best stats from your chart above to support the fantasy, tell me it is in the works and will be available “soon.” Tell me the new product will make me lose weight and look 10 years younger, and really sell me on the fact it is gluten free and 100% organic electricity.

My job as an American consumer is to buy the whole story, ignore the facts I don’t like, and believe in my heart of hearts that the new technology will work as advertised and will not make my butt look fat.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Nice write-up. But don’t go crushing my unrealistic expectations with your pesky, fact-based analysis. A boy can dream, right? All I want is instant charging at 98% efficiency and 10 times the range of the current battery. Is that really too much to ask? Facts are such fickle beasts.

You should just do what all the other manufacturers do and selectively lie to me to keep my hopes up. Just cherry-pick the best stats from your chart above to support the fantasy, tell me it is in the works and will be available “soon.” Tell me the new product will make me lose weight and look 10 years younger, and really sell me on the fact it is gluten free and 100% organic electricity.

My job as an American consumer is to buy the whole story, ignore the facts I don’t like, and believe in my heart of hearts that the new technology will work as advertised and will not make my butt look fat.
Hey, you forgot it's going to be sub-225 lbs also!