Why do the 2017 MX's get overlooked?

effinsiok

It seems like whenever anyone posts a WTB they specifically ask for a 2018/2019 MXR, and the 2017 MX's are overlooked. Maybe I'm biased because I have a 2017 but I don't really get it unless you are a fast motocross racer and need that bit of extra power. As far as I can tell, they all need suspension work and the 2017's can be made to work well. It's pretty easy to update the firmware. The A battery packs are less prone to have the code 36 issue. Is it just the yellow plastic that people don't like??

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I actually like my 2017 MX vs. my 2018 MXR for trail riding. It is much more plush than the MXR, and just seems to handle better over the rough trails. Since I am not a Map 4 kinda rider, power seems similar to me, as well as range. I think the ‘17 MX is a great value.

wwmotors

I had both bikes and we rode them also parallel some times. The MX fork (4CS) is way to soft for MX riding, especially jumping. The MX battery overheats earlier than the MXR. So if You only riding for joy or ENduro riding and You are not the fastest rider, the MX is OK. Especially the soft fork makes it very comfortable. If You want to compete with Your friends on ICE bikes, then You need the MXR! My opinion

effinsiok

The MX battery overheats earlier than the MXR.

That’s interesting, if the A pack is outputting less current than the R pack, why would it overheat earlier? It seems like the construction of the battery pack is roughly the same. Do the A cells not deal with heat as well? Was your 2017 on the latest firmware?

snydes

Staff member
That’s interesting, if the A pack is outputting less current than the R pack, why would it overheat earlier? It seems like the construction of the battery pack is roughly the same. Do the A cells not deal with heat as well? Was your 2017 on the latest firmware?

It’s because of the cell type.

2017 MX’s are way underrated, most people don’t need or benefit from the R pack bikes added map 4 power.

Trialsman

I had a 17 MX then went to the 19 EXRs. I noticed some of the parts looked identical but were not. Example; the triple clamps looked the same but the 17 was etched with 6061 and the 19 was etched with 7075 which is a stronger alloy. There were a lot of refinements in the bikes between years. The guard for the brake was flat on the 17 and curved at the top on the 19 so as not to catch your boot. If I never saw/rode/owned the 19 the 17 would have been fine. I can only imagine how good a 2021 would have been had they still existed.

effinsiok

the triple clamps looked the same but the 17 was etched with 6061 and the 19 was etched with 7075
True 7075 has almost double the yield strength of 6061, but they have almost identical modulus of elasticity (effectively a measure of stiffness), meaning as long as you're not exceeding the yield strength of 6061 (plastically deforming it, aka failing it), there is no benefit in performance for two identically shaped parts. Maybe they shaved a little weight off the newer design.

The guard for the brake was flat on the 17 and curved at the top on the 19 so as not to catch your boot.
I didn't know this one! I just looked at pictures of both, minor but nice improvement.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
True 7075 has almost double the yield strength of 6061, but they have almost identical modulus of elasticity (effectively a measure of stiffness), meaning as long as you're not exceeding the yield strength of 6061 (plastically deforming it, aka failing it), there is no benefit in performance for two identically shaped parts. Maybe they shaved a little weight off the newer design.

I didn't know this one! I just looked at pictures of both, minor but nice improvement.

The change from 6061 to 7075 was a long term change. (Had to use up old parts). Hence why newer models had the 7075.

The brake guard was due to people getting there pant leg caught on the boot guard. The easiest way to fix that is to get a rubber mallet and hit that bracket (we made a fixture for it to standardize all inventory)

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
The brake guard was due to people getting there pant leg caught on the boot guard. The easiest way to fix that is to get a rubber mallet and hit that bracket (we made a fixture for it to standardize all inventory)

You have to really appreciate the elegance of a solution when the production fix is to whack something with a hammer.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
For trail riding, getting to the trail, and street-legal riding, the EX or the EXR are the most popular bikes because of their lights and the ease of getting license plates.

If you do not need lights or plates to ride your favorite trails, then the MX would work just as well.

For motocross, the MXR is definitely better. My first Alta wss an MX, and while it was fast enough and a lot of fun, I did run into battery overheating issues a few times, and then was unable to charge the hot battery at the track. The front and the rear suspension were great for riding but not very good for jumping, despite having them re-sprung and revalved with the best setup that was available. Map 4 was jerky, but lacked the pull of gas bikes needed to clear bigger jumps. The MXR solved all these problems.