Which maps are for what? (MX, MXR, EX)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Pitch in what your experience has been with map selection. Here are my notes:

Map 1 -- Great for beginners, amazing for climbing slippery ands rocky hills, saving battery and extending range.

Map 2 -- Trail riding. I like the extra regenerative engine braking in this map.

Map 3 -- Great for motocross.

Map 4 -- Great for power sliding, shooting out of rutted corners. Very snappy power, similar to dumping the clutch. The throttle feels shorter in this map, so I tried it when my wrist got tired. It helped with the wrist, but not with the fatigue because the delivery is a little too snappy and Jerry for comfort.

------------------

If I could make changes to the maps, I would add a map with the engine braking of Map 2 and the traction and throttle of Map 3.

What are your observations?

Which map is best for holeshots? I am guessing Map 2 for anything slippery, Map 3 for everything else.

snydes

Staff member
It will be interesting to see if at some point Alta produces something to allow the owners to custom tune their own maps. I think that would be an additional selling point.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It will be interesting to see if at some point Alta produces something to allow the owners to custom tune their own maps. I think that would be an additional selling point.
That was one of my first questions. Apparently, Alta dealers already have the laptops to update the software. Marc, the Alta CEO, said they plan to let dealers adjust the maps to customers' liking. That was 1 year ago. It's time to ask again, I suppose.

Oded

I am mostly interested in finding out the differences between maps characteristics in different models (mx vs ex vs mxr).
On my EX the motor braking is so strong in map 4 that I use it for steep descends only (enduro).

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This is from the 2017 Redshift manual. It has the info about the MX and SM models.

Maps.PNG

I think this info is inaccurate though. I can definitely tell that in Map 2 the Regen is higher than in Map 3 or 4.

I have seen a similar table somewhere else, and I think it was slightly different. I need to search again.

Has anyone seen the 2018 EX and 2018 MXR manuals?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I was also told by one of Alta guys that the HP in all maps is the same (perhaps not in Map 1 though). What appears to be different is how exactly they reach that top HP.

Oded

Sounds right. One of the differences between the MX motocross and EX enduro is the maps algorithms.
Don't think there is an official manual for 2018 models just yet. At least, I didn't find one.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have uploaded the Owner's Manual and three Quick Start Guides for the MX, SM, and EX models under the "Resources" menu. This is all the information that Alta seems to have for the owners at this time.

From the Redshift MX 2017 Quick Start Guide (definitely an outdated version):
1523072285196.png

From the Redshift SM 2018 Quick Start Guide:

1523072177504.png

From the Redshift EX 2018 Quick Start Guide:

1523072232832.png

snydes

Staff member
Just talking out loud here, but what if they used that button to toggle a adjustable degree of regenerative braking, so you could use it as needed like if you were descending a long grade. Does anyone else think that could be useful?

Oded

I can think of many uses for it -
Your regenerative braking idea is exellent, another option is for personal parameters map (like the Zero motorcycles).

snydes

Staff member
Hopefully in the future they implement some degree of customization to the maps in these. I can understand them holding off on it here in the bikes infancy, but once things get settled in for them in the market maybe we will see some user tune ability.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
There are limitless customization opportunities with all the spare buttons and controls that Alta has. The throttle rolling forward is another one.

But right now I suspect Alta is rushing to sell all the MXRs that people have ordered. The bikes are already excellent as-is, which means new features and functionalities may take a while to appear.

Oded

Interesting you mention the forward motion of the throttle. Seems to me like an excellent opportunity for reverse mode.

Gertech

If anyone remembers the company Vectrix, they produced electric scooters about 10 years ago and have been out of business for some time. They used the throttle rolling forward feature as engine braking and also reverse, so I'd imagine it could be done in the future on an Alta!