When will one of the majors bring an E-bike to the market

Kaichen

Yeah, my KTM freeride e got 21 HP and I Love IT, its so much fun! An E-Bike with 50 HP must be Something Special that I would never let Go, If I had one

Cheers
Kai

Trialsman

I have often related that since I got my first Alta, the KTM Freeride that I have has not even been started - almost three years.

B. FRANK

as far as the aftermarket goes lubricants other than grease, pipes ,jet kits and power commanders will take a hit but a new market for batteries and controllers will be created to fill the void. ebikes still need tires, wheels, handlebars, levers, grips, brakes, sprockets, chains, plastics, lights, turn signals etc. so most am companies will be fine. cables are already starting to disappear as fly by wire becomes increasingly popular on ice bikes so cable companies like motion pro are branching out into tools and tire changing equipment . on the plus side when battery upgrades become popular maybe Altas can be refitted and live forever! I recently purchased a Sur Ron and am amazed at how many upgrades are available for it! if this is any indication of how the aftermarket will react to change it's gonna be one hell of a ride! I predict that within a year you will be able to make a storm bee competitive with many options available. buy an alta now and enjoy the inevitable!

privateer703

AOF Addict
I guess it's good for the electric mx industry, but this statement:
"In the context of electric motors being used in motocross, a universal battery system seems like the only real solution to fair racing at the moment. It would be difficult to monitor and regulate electric motors in racing without an official racing spec motor."
But they aren't talking about a standard motor, just a standard battery..

queenofspades

Reading this thread gives me big sad, because I feel a lot of you are on point with the big manufacturers holding off on e-bikes until battery tech improves. Kicking myself that I didn't buy a new EXR when I had the chance.

DynoDan1216

Guys, there are a few things to consider when building new machines. 1 - manufacturers make waaaay more money on parts sales (Ever wonder why some of them discontinued the two strokes). 2 - Starting a new style of machine could be a huge fail due to the cost of marketing. 3 - Todays motorcycles (even the bad ones) are so good compared to the past models that the benchmark for a new style demands massive funding for r&d. I believe that the current OEMs will in time have E-Moto bikes. However, as in the case of ALTA, I think we are going to see new companies pop up with new ideas and become very succesful. I think Alta maaaaay have invested to much loot in technology (which made them succesful) that may have made a cash poor situation when it came time to manufacture the bikes. For any company to do what ALTA did from a start is going to take a minimum of 5 years from startup (given they have the best of everything in place) or way longer. For that reason alone, you will be years ahead of the next released competitve electric moto bike. So if you can get one - youd better make tracks and get it before you can't.

@Zoom

Hi Larry, I see your post on Vital - New Alta model

"I'm a former Alta employee that now works for one of the major OEM's, and I can tell you with certainly there will be a competitive E-motocross bike from many of the major OEM's in the not too distant future.

They know its the future and are working on it..."

Would you be able to shed any more info on this for the forum members please?.

Hope your well and enjoying your new job.

#76.