When is charging done??

Mxchamps

Ok guys, new to the Alta and this forum! Just picked up a clean 18 MXR with only 16 hours on it. It is sweet so far! I have a charging question.

I have the "fast" charger and 220 volts i am plugging into. The charger instructions say once charging you can turn the key off and once charged the bike will shut off automatically. So i did this. I noticed the charger fan shut off and the bike coolant pump kept running. So i turned the key on and it looked fully charged, but still said charging. So I turned the key off and It ran for like another hour or more before the bike actually shut down. So my question is, is it charged when the fan on the charger shuts off (about 2 hours of charging) and the battery display looks full, or when the bike pump actually shuts off? Thanks guys!

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Welcome to the best riding of your life!

After you plug the bike in and start the charging cycle, you can either leave the key in or turn the key to off and then take the key out. In both cases, the charge cycle will continue until either 1) you flip the red switch closed on the right handlebar, or 2) the charge cycle completes. The bike will charge to roughly 100% state of charge and then performs a balancing procedure to level the p-groups out. Its the balancing procedure that you were trying to describe when you mentioned the charger keep running after full battery on the display. After balance procedure is finished, the charger cycle will complete, and the charger will shut off. The bike will remain on after that until the timeout is reached, in which case the bike will turn off (and the pump will turn off).

Simply put, charging is done shortly after the fan on the charger kicks off.

Mxchamps

Awesome! Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. I charged it again this evening, after really riding it for the first time, it I don't think the bike stayed on as long (maybe because I didn't mess with turning the key on to check on it).
My first ride was awesome! I did some technical trails (half covered with snow). It did better than expected, and I had a blast! Excited to put more time on it!
Thanks again!

Re Upping an old thread. I just got a bike as well, standard charger. Is it safe to just leave plugged in over night with the key off and kill switch on? then just unplug in the morning? Or do I need to watch it and unplug shortly after it finishes charging?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Re Upping an old thread. I just got a bike as well, standard charger. Is it safe to just leave plugged in over night with the key off and kill switch on? then just unplug in the morning? Or do I need to watch it and unplug shortly after it finishes charging?

You can charge overnight. The bike will recognize once its completed charging.

Lots of your questions/info can be answered in the resources section: Resources

I would highly recommend reading there.