What would you pay?

otbnc

Hey, I'm new to the forum, thanks in advance for your input!

I've been looking at Alta's for 18 months or so and seeing them go out of business was sad. I'm really interested in buying one but with no warranty, parts or local dealer support it seems somewhat of a gamble.

My question is - what price would you say is a 'good buy' for either of these two bikes:

Demo 2017 MX with less than 20 miles
Demo 2018 MXR with less than 20 miles

Thanks!

Brent421

It really depends on what they’re worth to you. As far as market value goes, I think the 17 MX could go for around $7,500 and the 18 MXR could go for around $8,500, at least. As time goes on and these bikes become more and more scarce, I’d suspect the price may eventually start to increase.

snydes

Staff member
I agree with Brent. Prices on average have seemed to level off and are holding at those numbers. In addition, there seems to be a line of Europeans that don't seem to hesitate at all to scoop one up as soon as they come up for sale (as long as sellers are willing to ship).

F451

I agree on the above. I've been amazed how well the value of these bikes seems to have stabilized. I bought mine used after Alta went out of business and was prepared to eventually lose a bunch of cash on the purchase. So far, that has not happened and I don't see any signs of the value of the bikes drastically decreasing.

And with all of the people doing e-bike conversions and home brewed e-bikes, I can see people upgrading the batteries and controllers of these bikes as time moves on which in turn will help them retain value.

So far, so good.

FUEL

All depends on what it is worth to you personally. I bought an SM late last year after Alta went out of business, paid full price for a demo model with 100 miles on it. Since then I have gotten to ride it nearly every day as I use it to commute. So for me personally, the price was worth it, just sad that $ weren’t able to go towards further supporting Alta. The bike is an engineering masterpiece!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I was going to say $8K for the MX and $9K for the MXR, if both have just 20 miles. They are almost brand new, and you will have a chance to poke the batteries with a laptop at the time of the purchase.

Brent421

That $8,000-$9,000 seems to be the sweet spot right now, but I can honestly say that I’d never sell mine for that price. To me, these bikes are worth much much more. Not to mention that they’re aren’t anymore being made and soon they may start climbing in price.

otbnc

Thanks for all the info! I appreciate it. I think I’ve settled on a 2017 MX... I’m coming from a CRF230 so hopefully the MX has everything I need and more for the next few years trail & novice track riding

snydes

Staff member
Thanks for all the info! I appreciate it. I think I’ve settled on a 2017 MX... I’m coming from a CRF230 so hopefully the MX has everything I need and more for the next few years trail & novice track riding
I'd say you should be quite happy with this upgrade.

Tacq180

I was going to say $8K for the MX and $9K for the MXR, if both have just 20 miles. They are almost brand new, and you will have a chance to poke the batteries with a laptop at the time of the purchase.
I am considering selling mine. It's a 2018 MXR with 374 miles and 24 hours on it. Haven't even had it out this summer. Lightly ridden by a 58 year old. The bike is in excellent condition. Hate to sell but my body is giving out on me. It's the best handling, most fun bike I've ever owned!

OldJeepGuy

I am considering selling mine. It's a 2018 MXR with 374 miles and 24 hours on it. Haven't even had it out this summer. Lightly ridden by a 58 year old. The bike is in excellent condition. Hate to sell but my body is giving out on me. It's the best handling, most fun bike I've ever owned!

Curious as to how bike holds up to heavier rider. I know it's usually in the suspension set up, but I'm a heavy guy (260lb). Are these bikes capable of that kind of weight?

Brent421

Curious as to how bike holds up to heavier rider. I know it's usually in the suspension set up, but I'm a heavy guy (260lb). Are these bikes capable of that kind of weight?
They’re easily capable of that kind of weight, and hold up better than any two stroke or four stroke dirt bike made. I’m not sure who this guy is in the pics, but he certainly looks more than 260 and is very hard oh his Alta. A buddy of mine sent me these pics, they were posted on a dual sport forum that he’s on.
45FFC44D-6D10-4B90-BF09-7DF2B40FE009.jpegC4DFA9E8-301A-447B-9331-4D4A247783DC.jpegBBA7C37B-CA70-4681-81C8-10900DDB78D6.jpeg

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I am 6’1, 250lbs without gear, and it hauls my ass around easy enough. I did put a slightly stiffer spring in the rear to get the proper sag, but I have no issues with bottoming. These bikes are quality built, and have top shelf components. If you’d confidently ride a similar 250/450 KTM MX bike, you have similar suspensions on the Alta.

Top Bottom