What to check for when buying an Alta?

Slomo

Hello again.
I am about to travel 12 hours to go pick up my new 2018 Alta MX. The dealer said it's been it the display window since they received it a few months before Alta went under. I am left to trust that somebody has made sure that the battery hasn't drained below 20% for longer than a month or 0% for longer than a week. How long would it take for the Alta to drain from 100% down to 20%. And is there anything I can do when I go pick this up to help me feel that the battery is still okay? If I have them hook it onto a charger for a little bit, will it throw any codes that may indicate the pack is damaged? Any other recommendations before I shake hands on this deal?

Slomo

Not sure on the laptop tool. Is that a special kind of laptop or a software program? And I believe it's in A pack because it's an MX. That only the MXR's have the R pack?

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Where are you going to pick it up? Maybe there is an AOF member nearby that can check it out with you.

When I picked my MXR up, I insisted that the dealer update the firmware first. I also plugged it in and made sure it charged (testing both the bike and the charger at the same time). I did this before I signed the paperwork.

I didn’t have a laptop with multitool installed back then, but I would have brought one if I had it.

I also built an adapter for the charger to plug it into 110v outlet, so I could plug it right there in the showroom. It made things simpler.

Slomo

Where are you going to pick it up? Maybe there is an AOF member nearby that can check it out with you.

When I picked my MXR up, I insisted that the dealer update the firmware first. I also plugged it in and made sure it charged (testing both the bike and the charger at the same time). I did this before I signed the paperwork.

I didn’t have a laptop with multitool installed back then, but I would have brought one if I had it.

I also built an adapter for the charger to plug it into 110v outlet, so I could plug it right there in the showroom. It made things simpler.
That's good advice! I'll be picking it up in San Francisco this Wednesday then heading back to Utah on I-80.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
That's good advice! I'll be picking it up in San Francisco this Wednesday then heading back to Utah on I-80.

Is that the one sitting in the window at BMW Motorcycles of San Francisco? I think I saw that one there when I bought an extra Rapid Charger from them.

Unfortunately, I will be out of town on a business trip all week, or I would help you out with MultiTool. Perhaps @Rashid510 or one of the other AOF folks in San Francisco might be able to give you a hand checking out the bike.