What Really happened to Alta Motors + The last hours of Alta HQ

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
That's a whole load of good parts you have there!!! With all the battery bits and some help, there's hope that replacement packs might be possible.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
The goggles are Havoc. I picked up a set from watching EB's videos. I really like them, and they fit my new Alpinestar SM10 helmet

Seems like I've lost the ability to add a link.....

For reference its Havoc Goggles

VINSANITY

Great summary of what happened with Alta and Harley - with that said I think we should take one complete battery - do a forum fund collection, say $200 - $300 each - then go to a custom battery builder and pay to have them disassemble and hopefully reverse engineer a battery solution hopefully with more commonly available components - I have worked with High Power Cycles in electric bicycles and I know they use an LA based custom battery builder to make there high voltage batteries so that could be a starting point - I think a less complicated battery may have less range or power output but would be better than nothing

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Great summary of what happened with Alta and Harley - with that said I think we should take one complete battery - do a forum fund collection, say $200 - $300 each - then go to a custom battery builder and pay to have them disassemble and hopefully reverse engineer a battery solution hopefully with more commonly available components - I have worked with High Power Cycles in electric bicycles and I know they use an LA based custom battery builder to make there high voltage batteries so that could be a starting point - I think a less complicated battery may have less range or power output but would be better than nothing

We're working towards battery repair and battery replacements. A couple companies are also interested in the same thing.

Right now we don't have the ability to plug in a custom battery because of the electronics. We have a ways to go before we have that problem solved. In the mean time we are actively working at the module level to fix the code 36 batteries. Just this has proved to be challenging!

Mikec265

If we could find a whole new electrical system to go along with a non Alta built battery I would be ok with it. Not sure what that would take. As long as we can get juice to run the motor. Gotta be a source somewhere.

I am more than willing to contribute a reasonable amount of money to a group project to keep our bikes running.
Unfortunately I don't know enough about electrical things to help any other way.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
That's a great idea. Crowd source the battery build. Consider new 2170 cells, shoot for more range? and end up with an open source design that all can use.

$300 a AOF member is a bargain to keep the fleet running. With no warranty of means of repair, I'm gun-shy to ride like I use too.:cry:
Same here.

Butch

Poseur
I need to crowdsource time. I want to watch this but do not have a half hour on my hands. When I do, I ride. First world problems...

Just watched, kinda. Short attention span, so short I cannot finger out how to ā€œlikeā€ or subscribe.
Good stuff.

Butch

Poseur
And in other thoughts... you mentioned in the vid that there were about 700 Redshifts sold retail. I know there is a thread about this specifically, but how good are your sources? I have heard 800-1200, but nothing difinitive. Maybe that ā€œHonchoā€ guy knows.
Maybe not. Only the shadow knows.
I ride with Alta005 all the time. We are the two dudes on those electric motorcycles. We are rare, and getting rarer, at least in the short term.
Maybe Iā€™ll bump that other thread.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
And in other thoughts... you mentioned in the vid that there were about 700 Redshifts sold retail. I know there is a thread about this specifically, but how good are your sources? I have heard 800-1200, but nothing difinitive. Maybe that ā€œHonchoā€ guy knows.
Maybe not. Only the shadow knows.
I ride with Alta005 all the time. We are the two dudes on those electric motorcycles. We are rare, and getting rarer, at least in the short term.
Maybe Iā€™ll bump that other thread.

For what its worth, there are 887 rows of VIN#'s in that recommended_fw.json file included in the Alta Multitool download.

1553134176060.png