What might have been

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
With FDM 3D printed parts, the bond between layers will always be a weak spot, regardless of material.

Absolutely correct. X and Y axis are always stronger than Z axis with FDM type printers. I've found that excessive cooling prevents good layer adhesion. My best results (in terms of strength) have come from prints where the cooling fan is basically turned off. This certainly comes at the cost of appearance. With the right extrusion temperature, nozzle movement speed, and little/no cooling, you can achieve good layer adhesion. It takes a bit of trial and error and tinkering to get right. It's almost like tuning a carburetor :LOL:.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Maybe we need to make our own molds and contract some limited plastic injection runs... (sometimes I'm dumb, so let me know if this is too crazy?)
This is too crazy. It might be cheaper to get everyone a set of carbon fiber "plastics" which is still not cheap. Our best bet is to find out from Acerbis how many pieces we need to order for them to do a run.

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
This is too crazy. It might be cheaper to get everyone a set of carbon fiber "plastics" which is still not cheap. Our best bet is to find out from Acerbis how many pieces we need to order for them to do a run.
@Silent But Dirty Thanks for the dose of reality :)
I thought those molds are not Acerbis property (not sure if BRP own them now)... therefore they need permission/pay royalties to someone to use them... and to get all the parties to agree sounded like a finger-pointing-circle-jerk.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I think you guys are sweating the small stuff. As long as our bikes keep running so what if they look like mad max props. I mean on a gas bike the shrouds serve a purpose of directing cooler air to the radiators. They do nothing on battery bikes other than a control surface for the knees. Therefore an ergonomics individuality purpose. Maybe aesthetically pleasing.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I can also attest that riding without shrouds at all feels so awesome that I did not want to re-install any shrouds back. I think a good set of decals to protect the aluminum is all that is needed.

Fod

I can also attest that riding without shrouds at all feels so awesome that I did not want to re-install any shrouds back. I think a good set of decals to protect the aluminum is all that is needed.
Photo or it didnt happen!

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Phew! That wasn't the embarrassing "naked in living room" picture!

I wrap the upper bulkhead with vinyl. Easy to replace when it's marked up and helps protect the aluminum.

Fod

Phew! That wasn't the embarrassing "naked in living room" picture!

I wrap the upper bulkhead with vinyl. Easy to replace when it's marked up and helps protect the aluminum.
Where can I get the kit to do that?

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
No kit. I used a 14x20 sheet of 3M white vinyl. Actually, the rear fender in that picture is the 17 MX gold with white vinyl wrap

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
@OneLapper , what happened to your battery emblems?

Great question. It went to the dealer for something, maybe a FW update or the water pump/ACM issue, and it came back with one battery badge missing. The dealer said it was missing when they got the bike. The dealer was going to warranty it, along with the display with the partially inop LED halo. Then Alta closed.

Mikec265

I have vinyl and a vinyl cutter.... I'm going to try riding my Alta half naked on my track right where the neighbors can see( but not hear) me. Cheap way to protect parts that I can't seem to get my hands on. Might as well give it a try.