What is normal drivetrain sound?

ablock

I just picked up my SM on Saturday and one thing I immediately noticed was the significant chain clatter when under acceleration, a noise that immediately disappears when the throttle is dialed back.

Other than that the drivetrain sounds like I would expect: an electric motor "lugging" hum at low speeds and a whine once you speed up.

Is that chain noise normal, or is it time for some chain lube?

snydes

Staff member
What you describe sounds like “normal”. You will probably find yourself giving your chain more attention than an ICE bike as you can now hear when it’s too slack and/or dry.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Agreed. Normal. I put a couple hundred miles on a SM while my MX was getting fixed. The MX has more noise due to the tires, but the SM is smooth and quiet so you notice sounds more.

You hear so much more without an ICE running. I thought I had a flat a couple of times, the noise the tire makes while spinning on the rocks, I just wasn't used to it.

Also, my chain needed a lube after a 39 mile ride with lots of water crossing. I think someone mentioned its not an oring chain so it might need more attention than I'm used to.

rayivers

I was a little surprised at the audible chain slap on my MXR, as the Zeros have none (concentric motor shaft / SA pivot, so chain slack can be set real low). If I can find a reasonably compact spring-loaded chain tensioner I may try one out, which might help with the chain slider issues as well.

snydes

Staff member
I was a little surprised at the audible chain slap on my MXR, as the Zeros have none (concentric motor shaft / SA pivot, so chain slack can be set real low). If I can find a reasonably compact spring-loaded chain tensioner I may try one out, which might help with the chain slider issues as well.

I could definitely see an opportunity for the aftermarket in this area.

Trialsman

There is actually a simple solution. Take off the left boot guard and the black plastic chain follower underneath it. Drill a hole ( size will be determined by the diameter of spring you pick up ) from the bottom where the vertical support is. The spring should stick out and hit the frame rail when installed putting tension on the guide which will in turn tension the chain. It works well so far and cost only time as I had a selection of coil springs.

IMG_4181.jpg