What are the major problems of the MXR?

aremean79

Hi guys!
I am from Singapore (Asia) and am hoping to buy an MXR from the USA and get it shipped back home.
I am drawn to this bike cos it seems super easy to ride and maintenance seems to be minimal due to low mechanical parts.

However, I have been reading the posts from the forum and realized that there might be servicing issues that I might face (especially software related maintenance issues) because there are obviously no dealers to send the bike back to, outside of USA.

Issues like the cooling pump not working which requires firmware updating will be a huge problem. And plugging into diagnostic laptop after the 9v battery replacement will also be an issue.

Are the above issues something that cant be worked around in your view and what other problems will I be facing?
Or are there software that can be downloaded so that I can do all those stuff myself from my own laptop? (like most EFI bikes)

Cheers.

snydes

Staff member
I’d say at this point there are no known “major” problems other than most agree the shock needs some tweaking.

I’d love to tell you there is no reason not to go for it, but honestly these are just too new to say for sure, and not having a dealer is going to be a problem for you sooner or later.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The only common problem is that the racers among us want more damping in the rear shock. But you can fix it yourself or take/ship the shock to any KTM suspension shop.

We have been talking about the pros and coins of dealer laptops, diagnostics and software access here: https://altaownersforum.com/threads/warnings-on-dashboard-on-new-mxr.136/

We do not expect things to change any time soon. But perhaps you could talk to Alta and ask them what your options are. They will eventually make their way to Singapore too, I hope. Maybe you could be their Patient 0 in Singapore, like @Oded is in Israel.

Oded

I think Israel is the only market, outside the US, that Alta have a dealer.
If there was no dealer, I would not have bought the bike for the reasons mentioned here.

As a side note, there is a french company called "electric motion". They produce high quality electric motorcycles, mostly for trial use.
I got an email from them saying that there is no problem ordering the bike and have it shipped directly without a dealer.
They wrote that if an electric problem arises, they diagnose and repair through the internet. All you have to do is connect the bike to your computer's USB port and they do the rest...

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
...there is a french company called "electric motion"... They wrote that if an electric problem arises, they diagnose and repair through the intrrnet. All you have to do is connect the bike to your computer's USB port and they do the rest...
This could be an AWESOME solution for Alta as well! This would not satisfy all the hackers and the tuners but should make all other owners (especially those living far away from dealers), as well as Alta Motors, extremely happy.

@Judaslefourbe

Judaslefourbe

This could be an AWESOME solution for Alta as well! This would not satisfy all the hackers and the tuners but should make all other owners (especially those living far away from dealers), as well as Alta Motors, extremely happy.
@Judaslefourbe

If only... The US law prevents us from selling direct when we have dealers in place.

rayivers

Zeros have had Bluetooth since '14 (used for changing one throttle map & checking battery parameters), and I believe the '18 models finally have reliable BT firmware updating.

Kurlon

Given how badly most wireless protocols are implemented these days, I don't think I want to be worrying about someone shutting my bike off on me mid race for lols... :D

I'd be more OK with a BT dongle that can be plugged in and removed as desired instead.

rayivers

I don't think I want to be worrying about someone shutting my bike off on me

Once you saw the app logon procedure (partial VIN required, kill switch off, kickstand down, etc.), you'd worry no more. :) A dealer would use a cable/laptop, unavailable to end users.

aremean79

I too was hoping that Alta (being a tech company) would implement what that French Motorcycle company (electric motion) is doing; letting us plug in the Alta and them rectifying/fixing/diagnosing the software issues etc remotely.

Otherwise they could do what Yamaha did with the GYTR tuner or the GYTR tuner app so that anyone can get anything solved online. Afterall, its all software? This will seriously increase their sales tremendously.

Anyway... have anyone had their Alta bikes needing to be plugged in to the dealers laptop for software updates/reflashes/etc?

Top Bottom