Media Review Visor Down - Alta'd Reality review

Monza

some stupid parts in the text written by this journalist : no need of ABS in Europe till less than 100 hp and Alta Redshift EXR 2019 is "only" 50 hp ... (i'm french)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
some stupid parts in the text written by this journalist : no need of ABS in Europe till less than 100 hp and Alta Redshift EXR 2019 is "only" 50 hp ... (i'm french)
He must have heard this info from the Alta guys. This is what they told me too. Perhaps they were mistaken.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
I believe they stated the EU requirement correctly. I had read some of this when I was dealing with ABS problems on my BMW Adv.

From BOSCH Mobility Solutions (BOSCH manufactures the ABS systems for many OEMs):
Enhanced safety for all motorcycle classes
According to the new EU legislation, it will be mandatory to fit an antilock braking system to all motorcycles that have an engine displacement greater than 125 cc. As of January 1, 2016, this will apply to motorcycles that are granted type approval and, from 2017 onwards, to all newly registered models.

This is consistent with other technical literature on the topic.

Monza

my mystake here : there was an historical link in Europe between Euro 4 rules and ABS for full power motorcycles (some years ago some countries had accepted to cancel the 100hp limit only for bikes with ABS and Euro 4) but i was not thinking that ABS was not an obligation for electric motorcycles because of this link in my mind. So journalist was right ... but not for individual approval : no need of ABS at the moment.