Updated the firmware on my EX today

Oded

Got a call from my dealer to stop by and update the fw of my EX.
The upgrade procedure takes several minutes and is way more friendly than with the Zero motorcycles.

Changes I noticed so far:
- speed is presented now in km/h instaed of m/h (in Israel we use the metric system), so this is the most important upgrade for me.
- the ignition procedure is faster. Time it takes for the bike to tun, from the moment you turn on the key is faster.
- map 1 is much stronger than before, and actually I can hardly see a difference between the maps now. In the previous version, the difference was very pronounce. Also, there is no difference in regen as before (goodbye steep descends).

Duncan

Well, if that's the case, maybe I don't want to update my EX software.

I don't want map 1 stronger and I do want significant differences from map 1 to 2 to 3 to 4.

Question: what do you mean by no 'difference in regen as before?'

Oded

Well, if that's the case, maybe I don't want to update my EX software.

I don't want map 1 stronger and I do want significant differences from map 1 to 2 to 3 to 4.

Question: what do you mean by no 'difference in regen as before?'

Before the update, there was a distinct difference in regen between the maps. Map 1 had no regen and map 4 had very strong motor braking. Now, they are all the same.

I suppose there are also changes that are not visible to me, and may be important.

bluefxstc

Thanks, but no thanks. I want the stronger regen. Been riding mainly in map 3 because of the stronger regen and I don`t want to lose that. I will keep the programming I have until I have to take it to the dealer to fix a problem, hopefully never. :) Now if I could have SM programming in my EX, which has the stronger regen, i might cosider that.

Oded

Thanks, but no thanks. I want the stronger regen. Been riding mainly in map 3 because of the stronger regen and I don`t want to lose that. I will keep the programming I have until I have to take it to the dealer to fix a problem, hopefully never. :) Now if I could have SM programming in my EX, which has the stronger regen, i might cosider that.

I also miss the regen.
I Just had to switch to km/h, so had to update..

bluefxstc

I also miss the regen.
I Just had to switch to km/h, so had to update..
It is too bad, that to get a key feature, you have to lose a feature. Hopefully Alta will someday (soon) allow us to adjust parameters like speed settings, acceleration and regen. They are all electronic settings and are pretty standard, user adjustable settings, in EVs. I just keep thinking, it is a new manufacture/bike and they are learning. All these things are in the works, I just hope they make it down to early purchasers. :ricky:

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
One of the Alta folks mentioned that firmware is tied to the VIN, so getting firmwear for the wrong model is highly unlikely.

The VIN needs to be entered into the Alta computer to initiate any diagnostics and updates. I get the impression that the dealer has little or no ability to "tinker" with the programming or features.

Oded

I think the previous fw might have been an other model's fw (SM because of the regen..?).
The current version is probably the correct version.
Don't get me wrong, it works great, I just miss the regen I got used to.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I put a couple hundred miles on a SM while my MX was getting fixed. There is a huge difference in regen between the two bike. The SM had very pronounced difference in regen in the different maps. 1 was mild and 4 was substantially stronger regen

strider

I put a couple hundred miles on a SM while my MX was getting fixed. There is a huge difference in regen between the two bike. The SM had very pronounced difference in regen in the different maps. 1 was mild and 4 was substantially stronger regen
Yes, but it sounds like the earlier EX firmware had the regen settings of the SM. Perhaps they did this because they are both road bikes? Perhaps (since they "fixed" it now) it was just an oversight?

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Yes, but it sounds like the earlier EX firmware had the regen settings of the SM. Perhaps they did this because they are both road bikes? Perhaps (since they "fixed" it now) it was just an oversight?

Only Atla knows

Oded

Although I just updated my firmware, I got an e-mail today from Alta asking me to update it again because there is a new bug fix that was released 5 days ago... (Perhaps the throttle bug?)

datadog

Although I just updated my firmware, I got an e-mail today from Alta asking me to update it again because there is a new bug fix that was released 5 days ago... (Perhaps the throttle bug?)

Correct.