Tubliss on Front Wheels

privateer703

AOF Addict
The last piece to getting my bike ready for this race is getting tubliss installed in my rear tire.
I completely get why you'd want to run really low pressure in the rear tire to get traction and at the same time prevent pinch flats. But I can't quite wrap my head around running the front tire so low you would be worried about pinch flats. So what psi do you run the front tire and does tubliss offer any benefit in the front?

Trialsman

I usually run between 10 and never more than 15 in the front for woods riding. Three years ago I picked up a nail in the Colorado San Juans. I use the Tubeliss system. The hole was a tear and after three attempts to plug it I gave up and ran it flat. For the next five days I rode the rocks of the passes. Except for a heavy steering it was fine and I never even as much as scratched the rim, let alone tacoed it anywhere. I run them on all the medium to light weight bikes.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I have run the Shinko Fatty around 10psi without Tubliss. I just replaced my rim with a new Warp 9 Elite rim because it resembled a pretzel more than a wheel. I just installed the Tubliss system front and rear, I hope that it saves the rim from taking such a pounding. I ride New England single track with lots of rocks and roots.

For this NE 24h Challenge, I've been told the Tubliss system is a huge advantage, highly recommended by @MrTaskRacing and my local buddy that does the event.

MrTaskRacing

YES!!!! Tubliss--- the cheaters choice. Much more bump absorbing, super traction, and NOTICEBLY keeps you online and from deflection------ that deflection factor and the traction is the key piece. The adjustability on the fly is nice too. I went from 9 psi in the dry down, to rain , to totally slick------ dropped the psi down to 4 psi in the rain and slick mud and went from slip slidin' to super tractor. It's also nice to be able to run flat and not worry about it.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
YES!!!! Tubliss--- the cheaters choice. Much more bump absorbing, super traction, and NOTICEBLY keeps you online and from deflection------ that deflection factor and the traction is the key piece. The adjustability on the fly is nice too. I went from 9 psi in the dry down, to rain , to totally slick------ dropped the psi down to 4 psi in the rain and slick mud and went from slip slidin' to super tractor. It's also nice to be able to run flat and not worry about it.

Mark, what do you run for pressures on the front? Assuming Tubliss and the MX59s.......

MrTaskRacing

Normally I run 7 and 7 front and back. If it is nasty or rocky, I will go lower to around 4 psi. 7-8psi in the front if usually good and you don't get too much tire roll.
The inner psi is at 115psi always though.

Trialsman

Similar here with 110 inner and usually 9-10 outer in front and 4-8 outer on the rear. In CO I will take it up to 10-12 on the rear. Traction is great.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Theoretically, yes. The Tubliss system weighs less than the UHD tire tubes that I use to prevent the pinch flats. Less weight, less mass, faster wheel acceleration, less energy, etc. etc. etc.

I highly doubt it's noticeable by my butt....... but in theory, yes, it has an advantage

privateer703

AOF Addict
I think you've convinced me. Tubliss in the front it is. At the very least if I do somehow get a puncture in the tire, the tubliss will help keep the rim from getting dinged on rocks.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I raced this weekend at the JDay Offroad event at Southwick. First time riding with the Tubliss front and rear, as well as the tires recommended by @MrTaskRacing racing. I'll post a full review but in short, the bike handled great! Pressures were 8psi outer up front and 4psi outer on the rear. Conditions were bad, raining most of the day. The extreme enduro section was a breeze! Lots of traction. The woods is where I noticed the biggest improvements. The deep, muddy, sandy slop that Southwick is infamous for was a challenge. I think the Dunlop Geomax MX3S was better in the deep muck than the Kenda Ibex, but more on that in the full review.

MrTaskRacing

Yeah--- I would agree. The thing is, the conditions at Southwick are unlike anywhere around here. Rare you have deep sand like that. Not a great paddle tire, but on everything else it is mint.
Also, guys, check out the new goggle. It's something EVERY REAL RIDER should have and would appreciate! ( If you are an Enduro , extreme, or MX rider ; -)

Attachments

• Task Racing AER-FLO Goggle Flyer .pdf
    290.5 KB · Views: 22

privateer703

AOF Addict
It also looks like it has the mounting posts for tear-offs. I've never used tear-offs, do they all use the same mounting geometry?
I like the lens being spaced off the frame a little. I don't normally have an issue with fogging but when that summer humidity picks up, goggles are really hot to wear. These look like they might really make it more comfortable.

MrTaskRacing

You get it! That's EXACTLY why these rock. Huge advantage on keeping cooler and less fatigued. So, yes they are on my www.taskracing.com website, and yes they come standard with tear off posts. I have for $5, 10 tear off films that fit on the lens. In terms of the same mounting geometry, these are a little in terms of a sharper frame bend, to allow for immediate heat escape. That's the issue with all goggles out there---- they hold the heat and moisture The foam, though it's pretty holy, still holds a lot of it in, even for a short bit. But you are dead meat if you are going slow. These don't fog----ever. That's the beauty of it~
I use them pretty much all year round.
If you guys, who run ALTA's, put in the notes field that you are an Alta owner, I'll throw in the tear off films for free~
It's my way of being green ;-)

F451

Are these them? AER-FLO Goggles

$54.95? That's a pretty good price, I just paid more for a "normal" set of googles. Wish I had known about these, fogging up out here in the PacNW is a constant, year round issue, especially out on the single track. I may have to pony up for a set and give them a try.