Trump threatens EU with retaliation over ‘unfair’ tariffs on Harley-Davidson

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I think folks on this forum would be glad to hear this news. At least for now.

Later though, Trump will probably try to make things "fair" by taxing KTMs, BMWs, Ducatis and other euro bikes.

When the hell will politicians be prohibited from interfering in the economy, and jailed to make everything fair?!! :mad:
He hasn't already... Huh.

I have long felt that every elected politician should spend an equal time in prison as spent in office, might come close to fair.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps, I could now open a business buying new KTMs/Huskys under 500cc and over 700cc and parting them out. US KTM parts dealers will be out of business. Junk yards will thrive. Thank you big brother.

wildman240

Here it comes:

European Motorcycles And Parts May Get More Expensive - Adventure Rider

So, let's tax KTM 690, Husqvarna 701, and all Euro motorcycle parts 100% in order to help the uncompetitive H-D become more competitive and save American jobs. :sick::poop:
You mean all of the Indian jobs that they outsourced to years ago? Exactly. Let HD die the or thrive based on products and sales like most businesses have to do in this country.

In 2011, Harley-Davidson India began the assembly of its Sportster line followed by the assembly of the Dyna line in 2012 and Softail line in 2013. In 2014, Harley-Davidson began manufacturing the Street 750 and 500 motorcycles in India - atBawal, Haryana India, its only manufacturing facility outside of the US.

B. FRANK

Later though, Trump will probably try to make things "fair" by taxing KTMs, BMWs, Ducatis and other euro bikes.

When the hell will politicians be prohibited from interfering in the economy, and jailed to make everything fair?!! :mad:
in the 70's or 80's Harley Davidson took legal action against the Japanese mc manufacturers for dumping on our economy, Japanese bike prices doubled and tripled overnight, then they tried to patent the sound of their bikes because even at inflated prices metric cruisers were outselling Harleys because they just worked better. I will give Harley credit because by not changing their line up much the aftermarket exploded and you now have hundreds of choices to replace any part of almost any Harley. the japs seriously upgrade every two years so the aftermarket choices are pretty much pipes and power commanders and that is why serious bike builders tend to stick with Harleys. after all new coke cemented a loyal following to Coca Cola classic. sometimes not changing is the way to go.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
You mean all of the Indian jobs that they outsourced to years ago? Exactly. Let HD die the or thrive based on products and sales like most businesses have to do in this country.

In 2011, Harley-Davidson India began the assembly of its Sportster line followed by the assembly of the Dyna line in 2012 and Softail line in 2013. In 2014, Harley-Davidson began manufacturing the Street 750 and 500 motorcycles in India - atBawal, Haryana India, its only manufacturing facility outside of the US.
Most HD buyers would probably see “Haryana India” and think the bike was made somewhere outside Indianapolis.

wwmotors

Trump and the EU killed my business, trading ALTAs here in Germany. Politicans are assholes in their glasshouses! Trump was threatening the EU on steelprices, the EU threatens Trump on motorbikes for Europe, then Harley killed ALTA, because they needed the invested money! So they killed my business and the best MX bike, ever built!

B. FRANK

Harley didn't kill alta they just let it die. between the Ama not recognizing them because of 0 cc's and not being allowed to compete in Ama events and the decision to go out of country to compete at erzberg and way overestimating their battery capacity had a lot to do with it too. they were just a few years ahead their time and the race world wasn't ready yet. Harley pulling financial support didn't help.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Harley didn't kill alta they just let it die. between the Ama not recognizing them because of 0 cc's and not being allowed to compete in Ama events and the decision to go out of country to compete at erzberg and way overestimating their battery capacity had a lot to do with it too. they were just a few years ahead their time and the race world wasn't ready yet. Harley pulling financial support didn't help.
What happened with Alta has nothing to do with their racing successes and failures. They probably wouldn't have embarked on the Erzberg trip if it wasn't for the promised funding from H-D. The rapid expansion from 3 dealers to 100, the drop in pricing, the withdrawal of the promised H-D funding, and the legal tricks and hurdles put up by the H-D lawyers is what did it in.

I think it is mostly H-D who is at fault, along with the Alta's management who decided to trust and rely on their promises.

Harley, actually, did kill Alta.

bluefxstc

So lets see, the EU taxes the import of Harleys at 25% (towards the bottom of the page) and the US taxes the import of KTM, BMW and Husky's at between 0% and 10% (Page 26) ( I am not a lawyer so having trouble figuring out the table, but the highest rate is 10%) and this is somehow fair? I am all for free trade, but it has to be on both sides. You can't have the US letting goods in for 10% or less, when it is 25%, or more, for US goods going to the EU and call it fair. I have no problem with Harley failing if they can't compete, but it has to be a level playing field.

snydes

Staff member
I have an idea...Harley could introduce a company that produces an innovative high quality competitive line of off road bikes that could act as a steppingstone into their high end electric street bikes. They could call it Alta. Seriously, F-Harley.

Top Bottom