Top Fairing screws

TeslaRaptor

To close the loop on why I was not able to get the front, top fairing screws out of the fairing/ brass insert......the previous owner/knucklehead blue loctited them in. Even with the screw in a locked vice grip in my hand (plenty of leverage) I can not get the screw to turn.....just demolishes the brass.
o_O

image.jpg

F451

To close the loop on why I was not able to get the front, top fairing screws out of the fairing/ brass insert......the previous owner/knucklehead blue loctited them in. Even with the screw in a locked vice grip in my hand (plenty of leverage) I can not get the screw to turn.....just demolishes the brass.
o_O

I usually heat up the stubborn Loctite'd fasteners, works pretty good. Propane torch, heat gun, whatever's laying around. If there are parts nearby that may melt, then a soldering iron applied to the fastener works nicely. Gentle movement back and forth to free it up usually will get it moving.

I've also read that acetone will dissolve it, but haven't had much success with that method, plus it can damage finishes etc if it gets splashed around.

And brass inserts are easily deformed, so using vice grips, pliers, etc, can easily crush the brass insert onto the bolt threads. The tighter you make it, the more difficult it is to remove. Makes it difficult remove stubborn inserts, apply to much gripping force and it deforms and you're done.

TeslaRaptor

I usually heat up the stubborn Loctite'd fasteners, works pretty good. Propane torch, heat gun, whatever's laying around. If there are parts nearby that may melt, then a soldering iron applied to the fastener works nicely. Gentle movement back and forth to free it up usually will get it moving.

I've also read that acetone will dissolve it, but haven't had much success with that method, plus it can damage finishes etc if it gets splashed around.

And brass inserts are easily deformed, so using vice grips, pliers, etc, can easily crush the brass insert onto the bolt threads. The tighter you make it, the more difficult it is to remove. Makes it difficult remove stubborn inserts, apply to much gripping force and it deforms and you're done.

Great advice. And I am sure I applied too much force. I needed the screw and sleeve. So put it in the bench vice and did get it out.