Tires for the Northeast 24lhr Challenge

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I may need some Northeast trail riding tire education. I would like to know if I should consider buying special tires for this event that are different from the MXR stock Dunlop MX3S.

I am not familiar with enduro tires. Perhaps there are some that handle slippery rocks and roots better. What are the challenges of riding in the western New York?

I am yet to find a terrain where the MXR stock Dunlop MX3S wouldn't work. It is not the best for hardpack, but it still works there.

Some folks like Tubliss. I tried running it a few years ago and I didn't see any advantages on the rocky Arizona terrain or in the soft Michigan soil. I either couldn't run low pressures because of the rocks, or there was no benefit to it because the track called for normal tire pressures. The ease of repairing flats with plugs was the only positive.

What am I missing?

Matt

E-Rider
Tall pines has loose rocks and roots. They cut a new path for the race and leave the small tree stumps a couple inches high. I think the soil will be similar to Michigan's. If it rains it becomes very slippery and the roots become very slick which is mostly why tubless helps out here. I am not sure what tire would work best and can't remember off the top of my head what tire I was using but I have a picture of the tread after the race. I know it was a beefier wider tire that local guys said would work well in muddier conditions. I was in a pinch at the time.20181229_122324.jpg

snydes

Staff member
@MrTaskRacing was suggesting Bridgestone M59 up front and the Shinko 505 cheater for the rear (limited choices for 19” rear). And of course the tubbliss.

Philip, if 2019 is a repeat of 2018 as far as weather we are going to be in for a treat come July...

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
@MrTaskRacing was suggesting Bridgestone M59 up front and the Shinko 505 cheater for the rear (limited choices for 19” rear). And of course the tubbliss.

Philip, if 2019 is a repeat of 2018 as far as weather we are going to be in for a treat come July...
Agreed, the M59 up front is THE best all around knobby on planet earth. It does everything well, from snow to mud to loose to hard packed. Unfortunately it won't last long on the pavement. 505 cheater is up there as well, can't go wrong with that tire either.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I was talking to a buddy last night about the NE 24hr Challenge. Lots of roots and cart paths with small loose rocks. And when it rained overnight, the mud was epic.

Mark recommended the Kenda Ibex (rear), the M59 (front) and tubliss. The Ibex isn't available in a 19", so the next best choice is the 505 Cheater per Mark. I think I will bring a Pirelli Scorpion mud tire just in case it's a wash out.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I'm going to buy a Warp 9 18" rim and spokes to re-lace my hub. The recommended rear tires for the NE 24hr Challenge is the Kenda Ibex, but it does not come in 19". The Shinko Cheater 505 is recommended if you have 19s. Looks like the Cheater 525 would be good in the mud, which can happen at this event.

Duncan

For the front my standard for many years was the Bridgestone M59.
Great traction especially in rocks.
problem it gets clapped out quickly
really only good for two rides max.
now I am using the Shinko 216MX Fat Tyre 90/100-21
basically same as Goldentyre GT216AA
Great traction and holds up well.

For the rear my standard for many years was the Pirelli MT16 120/100 - 18
I have tried a few Shinko Holeshot HT 505 Cheater 110/100 - 18 but am not happy
Still in-search-of traction
Plan on maybe trying the Shinko 525 (but I hear it wears out quick) and the Kenda IBX and maybe the Maxxis M7320 Trailmax which is like a trials tire but several riders told me it is unreal good.

Oded

Consider the Pirelli MT43 trial tire. Lasts forever, very smooth and good traction.

Why didn't You like the Shinko 505 cheater?

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
I watched a couple videos of the NE 24hr Challenge from 2016 and 2017 last night. It looks like the trail was extremely sandy, and toward the end of the race, there were lot of roots. One short section had powdery silt with 12" ruts. And some rain and as 2018 demonstrated, it's brutal. I think I'm bring two tires, one specifically for mud.

Duncan

I have ridden the MT43 trials tire and it is good in rocks but a couple of experienced riders told me the Maxxis M7320 Trailmax which is like a trials is much better. Also the 100 size seems too small and the 120 too big and heavy.

The Shinko 505 for me just doesn't hold well and feels a bit squirmy. In fact a rider behind me said I was losing traction all over the place.

Another to consider is the new Dunlop Geomax AT81 EX.

Oded

I have ridden the MT43 trials tire and it is good in rocks but a couple of experienced riders told me the Maxxis M7320 Trailmax which is like a trials is much better. Also the 100 size seems too small and the 120 too big and heavy.

The Shinko 505 for me just doesn't hold well and feels a bit squirmy. In fact a rider behind me said I was losing traction all over the place.

Another to consider is the new Dunlop Geomax AT81 EX.

The Maxxis Trailmaxx is the stock tire on the KTM Freeride. It is not DOT approved as opposed to the Pirelli MT43.

Another good tire in that criteria is the Kenda Equibilibrium.

For my type of riding (rocky enduro), these hybrid trial tires are great. They also last long.

Duncan

Woops, my comments above about size 100 being too small and 120 too big and heavy were intended for the Shinko 505, not Pirelli MT43.
Yes OneLapper - I will provide my feedback on the next tire I try but may not be for a while as I am not riding much in the winter.
And for what it is worth (all this should be taken with a big grain of salt) an experienced rider told me the Trailmaxx is way better than the Equilibrium.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Last Saturday I went to do some rock crawling with a bunch of jeep guys here in Arizona. Had a Shinko Fatty in the front and a Dunlop MX52 120x80-19 in the rear. The pressures were not low, 15/12 psi front/rear, and I ran Tube Saddles in both tires to prevent rim dings and pinch flats when hitting rocks at high speed. The tires did great. I felt the front and the rear were hugging and sticking to all the rocks, despite their relatively high pressures, and I was able to climb almost all the same obstacles that the jeeps were climbing. It was a blast! All the jeep guys were very impressed with my Alta being able to climb rocks.