Tires for the enduro models

Oded

Thinking about my next tires for the EX
The stock Metzeler 6 days extreme is great but does not last long at all.
Tested the Pirelli MT43 (trial - enduro) which is great for rocks and hard terrain, but don't have the bite for the loose stuff.

My rides are 90% dirt, 10% road. No sand or mudd.

My next tires will probably be the Metzeler 360 mid hard.
Any other suggestions?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Check Slavens Racing website and YouTube videos. That guy always seems to have a favorite front and rear tire for rocky and all other terrains.

Duncan

For New England terrain I did not like the stock tires.

Here's what I am running:

Front = Shinko 90/100 - 21 216 MX Fat Tyre (same as Goldentyre GT 216AA)

Rear = Shinko 110/100 - 18 Holeshot HT 505 Cheater

Nitro Mousse Bibs

Available at Rocky Mountain and Slavens.

tire 1.jpgtire 2.jpg

Oded

The cheater tire is very interesting, but I don't think it will survive on road riding due to the soft compound. Same goes to the mousse.

I bet it sticks like glue to rocks. Eventually, I will try it.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I’ve always been a fan of Maxxis & Kenda offerings though it’s always been on ICE bikes -with the Alta overall rotational mass weight is obviously a concern...

thsm007

Anyone have an idea why the heck the rear tire has no rim lock? What’s the up side to not having a rim lock on the EX?

thsm007

The
Tested the Pirelli MT43 (trial - enduro) which is great for rocks and hard terrain, but don't have the bite for the loose stuff.

Any other suggestions?

The trials tires are sketchy in the corners. Even the hybrids if you’re really riding them. IMO it’s a one trick pony. If you get mud or want to corner hard it’s an easy tire to eliminate.

I ride North east and New England terrain and really like the MT16. It’s 120-100-18. I’m wondering if it’s too much tire for this bike which wld be a pity bc I have a stack of them.

The Kenda Ibex is good but if you do pavement before trail in a significant amount probably not worth the price.

The Shinko cheaters have been good for me equal in quality and performance to the mt 16 imo. I usually get whichever is cheaper.

I run bibs in the rear.

John Lindemann

The EX and MX should have a rim lock. When I change tires I will go with the TuBliss system. TuBliss will provide a rim lock. With all that torque and wheel spin I cannot imagine why these bikes came without rim locks. Also it’s difficult to get back to the truck on a flat tire without rim locks.

Speedkills

Just a wild guess but the SM may be able to do without a rim lock because it runs over 30lbs of pressure instead of <15 like you do in the dirt.

thsm007

I see that on the SM. I bet as the EX is more refined and comes more into being it’s own platform you’ll see the rim lock.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Anyone have an idea why the heck the rear tire has no rim lock? What’s the up side to not having a rim lock on the EX?
I would guess they are not included to maintain street legal status -easy enough to fix

griffbl

Any other suggestions?
As mentioned, the stock tires on my 2019 Redshift are very high quality, BUT I do ride the bike on pavement some....and this is the type tread design I like for my version of dual sport riding (mostly dirt road, some rocky stuff, some pavement) Photo is from my Honda XR600R. Sorry it is not great, but the bike is not at my home right now...you get an idea from the tread design hopefully.jIKPnAqYTHOEHrqtVccQPw.jpg

griffbl

when I let the guys from the local Husky Dealer (who do all my routine maintenance ) rid my new Alta, they really romped on it, loved it, and were somewhat concerned there was no rim lock!!

thsm007

Rim lock is very easy to add. There is a hole in the rim plugged with a rubber thing (I saved them rubber plugs for my mouse tires :)) I do agree it shld have a rim lock and definitely needs it for off road unless you want to risk riding out on a rim. Where I ride it was a must. I was thinking I’d have to drill a hole so at least it’s contemplated. I know that ktm 50 state legal dual sports include a rim lock. At least in the models in CA, NY and NJ. I’d be shocked if they didn’t included them in all models. I can’t thjnk why a dot would not allow a rim lock anyway.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
I am going to try the Maxxis Desert IT 110/100-18 soon. I have 34 miles on my bike, and the stock rear tire is showing alot of wear. I don't think I will make it to 100 miles. I was getting 120-140 miles on the Desert IT which I found to be the longest lasting tire I could find for my XCF450.