Tires for the enduro models

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
The Shinko fatty really shines on sand, mud, and banging over rocks and sharp edges.

I had a race last fall, the course was sandy with huge ruts. I was too slow through the sandy ruts to float on top. The fatty didn't do that well in the ruts. It didn't want to stay in them. Lack of speed and experience, fear of death and broken bones, also played a factor.....

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
The Shinko fatty really shines on sand, mud, and banging over rocks and sharp edges.

I had a race last fall, the course was sandy with huge ruts. I was too slow through the sandy ruts to float on top. The fatty didn't do that well in the ruts. It didn't want to stay in them. Lack of speed and experience, fear of death and broken bones, also played a factor.....
That's a good fear to have! (y)

Slayer

Regarding the factory 6 Days Metzler tires, I have been impressed with the ware. At the onset of riding the bike, I would have predicted 300 mi. or so for the rear. I did 900 miles on it and decided to go with the same tire again. That leads me to a question regarding the front tire. Being frugal and tight, I passed on replacing the front tire following the advice of an old school guy who said “flip that tire and wear out the other half”. Observing the wear on the front, I said heck yeah. However, as soon as I got the tire spooned and mounted, I noticed a rotation arrow. Question: Is mounting the tire in this manor (obviously) incorrectly for trail and short commutes risking life and limb?

Judaslefourbe

For knobby-style tires, I don't think it matters than much.
That being said, I would recommend you take it easy until you feel confident that is the case.

For road tires, it matters more because they are designed to push the water out of the way, so if you flip them, you end up making them quite dangerous in the rain.

Slayer

Appreciate the comment, figure I will try it out. Suppose if it’s a DOT tire with radial construction it could pull apart down the road on ya. Don’t see that happening. 🔨