Tires for the enduro models

Oded

Eventually, installed the Michelin Starcross 5 120/90. It is the same size as in the motorcycle's licence, so I won't have problems in the annual vehicle's test.

ageess

Hi somebody used a Metzeler MCE 6 Days Extreme 140/80-18 or other tire of this size in the bike ?
Will it fit with enough clearence ? The 120 Enduro reartires are more used on 125 ccm bikes in Europe.

ageess

..but this was not the question i ask, did anybody mount a 140 80 18 Enduro tire in the rear and will it fit and has enough clearance ?

Oded

..but this was not the question i ask, did anybody mount a 140 80 18 Enduro tire in the rear and will it fit and has enough clearance ?

I use the Michelin Starcross 5 120/90 which is much wider than the stock Metzler and it fits.
Also used the very wide Pirelli MT43 and the plastic mud guard rubbed against it, so had to move it a bit.

Remember, not all tires in the same numeric size are actually the same actual size.

Oded

For New England terrain I did not like the stock tires.

Here's what I am running:

Front = Shinko 90/100 - 21 216 MX Fat Tyre (same as Goldentyre GT 216AA)

Rear = Shinko 110/100 - 18 Holeshot HT 505 Cheater

Nitro Mousse Bibs

Available at Rocky Mountain and Slavens.

View attachment 673View attachment 674

Reviving this old thread.
I think I'll change to this recommended setup -
Shinko 110/100 505 cheater 18
Shinko 216 Fatty 21 front.

Isn't the 110/100 too small for the Redshift's capabilities?

The Shinko fatty is the 90/100 or 80/100? They have both...

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
The Shinko Fatty on my bike is the 90/100. Great tire but I did manage to rip a few side knobbies off with @Duncan late last fall.

Duncan

My opinion of the rear Shinko 505 has waned, need something bigger than 100/110 for all that Alta torque, going to try one of the following next:

Kenda IBEX K744 120/100
Shinko Holeshot ST 525 120/100
Dunlop Geomax AT 81 EX 110/100 (does not come in 120/100)

Oded

I am looking for a sticky soft rubber for the rear tire. The 505 120/100 is too large and heavy.
Perhaps a Kenda Equilibrium will do the job..

Duncan

I know what you mean about difficult to decide between a 110 and a 120 rear.

You may want to check out the Maxxis Trailmaxx 400 X 18

I have not tried it but know some that have and they love it for rocks and roots.

Oded

I know what you mean about difficult to decide between a 110 and a 120 rear.

You may want to check out the Maxxis Trailmaxx 400 X 18

I have not tried it but know some that have and they love it for rocks and roots.

Maxxis trailmax
Kenda Equilibrium
Shinko 525 120/100 (smaller and lighter than the 505)

All strong candidates

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Maxxis trailmax
Kenda Equilibrium
Shinko 525 120/100 (smaller and lighter than the 505)

All strong candidates
All are excellent candidates.
I am particularly fond of the shinkos and Maxxis Desert IT series . That said, I have been running the MotoZ mountain hybrid tire and really like it. It hooks pretty good everywhere, but is a hard rubber tire. My next tire will be the MotoZ Mountain Hybrid gummy tire. This tire has the exact same tread pattern as the Mountain Hybrid, but with a softer rubber compound. MOTOZ Mountain Hybrid Gummy BFM | High Performance Off-Road Tyres

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
All are excellent candidates.
I am particularly fond of the shinkos and Maxxis Desert IT series . That said, I have been running the MotoZ mountain hybrid tire and really like it. It hooks pretty good everywhere, but is a hard rubber tire. My next tire will be the MotoZ Mountain Hybrid gummy tire. This tire has the exact same tread pattern as the Mountain Hybrid, but with a softer rubber compound. MOTOZ Mountain Hybrid Gummy BFM | High Performance Off-Road Tyres
BTW, the 120/100-18 is HUGE for a 120 size tire.

ageess

We use the shrinko fat tyre now in the front FIM Proof 90-100-21 and the Metzeler Sixdays extreme FIM 140-80-18 midhart in the back fits perfekt for the big torque of the Alta .Metzeler Front Daumen hoch.jpg
( pictures is still with the ripped 90-90-21 MSD )

Duncan

Took delivery of Kenda IBEX and Shinko 525. have not ridden yet.

First thing I noticed is Shinko feels heavy.

Verified this with my scale:

Kenda IBEX 120/100-18 = 13.0 lb
Shinko 525 120/100-18 = 16.1 lb
Dunlop AT81 120/90-18 = 12.0 lb

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
That's good info!

I still need to get an 18" rear wheel for my MX. Not enough tire choice for the type of riding I do (mainly enduro).

Oded

Installed the rear Kenda Equiblirium, had to add 2 links to the stock chain, as the tire is larger in diameter than the stock Metzler tire.

The Shinko 90/100 front fat tire was also installed.

First ride on rocky terrain was superb. Grip of the rear soft gummy tire is out of this world. Hope it last long.
Did not feel much change between the stock Metzler. 90/90 tire, and the fat Shinko. Although, it had no bad characteristics.

Replaced bikes with a friend's KTM 250 2 stroke for a while. Couldn't wait to get my Alta back.