Thinking about making the plastics for alta

VINSANITY

Yes agreed about covering more of the frame.

Seeing more options now that I tried to do a template.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor

Trialsman

The only existence of this part is with its original owner/designer. Graphics are also one offs.
So even if he was not a AOF member he could "sell" us the drawings/designs. I would be very interested in getting a couple sets. This way we would not have to reinvent the wheel, and our bikes would get a nice functional and esthetic upgrade.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I posted this link on the first page. I think this is the best version of the MXR (2020 model). This shroud has to exist somewhere. This needs to be in production. Graphics are on point too. IMO, no need to look elsewhere.
Alta was working on new body work before they closed shop
John McInnis does not have the model for these shrouds, we asked. It was on his work computer. But looking more closely, these shrouds are just as bulbous as the original ones. The side profile is a great starting point though.

Blow up the site view, cut them out of cardboard or sheet plastic, fill the gaps with putty or some spray foam, smooth them out, and that would make great plugs for the molds, of for 3D scanning.

privateer703

AOF Addict
The only issue I have with those is the "vent" in the bottom portion of the shroud has very small connecting ribs, one drop, even lightly, could bend all those connecting ribs and distort the plastic. The same happens on the little connecting ribs on the number plates, one drop and half of them rip and bend. The shape is very appealing, I would just rather have something more robust. There is no good solution for bent number plates, but those shrouds look like they won't take much of a beating.

F451

My preference would be completely re-designed plastics that used typical dirt bike plastics fasteners like every other dirt bike has been using for the last forever years. The overly fiddly screws with spacers (tiny spacers!) into guaranteed to fail brass inserts in plastic is about the worst solution you could come up with.

Once my sub frame cracks I'll be getting someone to fab a '14 series KTM sub frame to bolt up to the Alta like some have already done. Then my plastics woes will be solved. KTM rear fender/number plates, remove the front shrouds, they do nothing, put some film on the frame to protect it from scratches like some have already done. Done and done, Lol.

But I also applaud the efforts to make replacement plastics for the Altas, especially more knee friendly shrouds, good job.

metallic88

My preference would be completely re-designed plastics that used typical dirt bike plastics fasteners like every other dirt bike has been using for the last forever years. The overly fiddly screws with spacers (tiny spacers!) into guaranteed to fail brass inserts in plastic is about the worst solution you could come up with.

Once my sub frame cracks I'll be getting someone to fab a '14 series KTM sub frame to bolt up to the Alta like some have already done. Then my plastics woes will be solved. KTM rear fender/number plates, remove the front shrouds, they do nothing, put some film on the frame to protect it from scratches like some have already done. Done and done, Lol.

But I also applaud the efforts to make replacement plastics for the Altas, especially more knee friendly shrouds, good job.

you just gave me an idea that i threw together, it would look cool with a kx rear end lol. but i did forget about those ribs on the alta number plates, i might have to fix that as well.

aaww.png

F451

you just gave me an idea that i threw together, it would look cool with a kx rear end lol. but i did forget about those ribs on the alta number plates, i might have to fix that as well.

View attachment 4243

Looks good. I’m planning on keeping things from the ‘14 KTM range since so many of the Alta parts are already from the’14 KTM model year range. Makes it easier for me to keep track of, also if I ever sell it, will be an easier sell, ie, except for proprietary Alta parts, all other parts are ‘14 KTM.

VINSANITY

I’m going down the same path - I actually bought a 1995 CR subframe and seat because welding the steel will be easier than aluminum and plastic is pretty cheap -also the stock Alta seat is too wide for my liking.

Just need these improved shrouds, I can’t stand the stock ones - too wide, hurt your knees - but I also don’t like riding it without shrouds as I need something to clamp on to.

Here’s a pic of the 95 Honda rear end

7AC85C5D-A6C1-4F93-A3F2-B38F53F4686E.png

privateer703

AOF Addict
I was wondering what the cheapest set of plastics would be. Looking further into the future, building a subframe for the cheapest/most common rear plastics would probably be the most economic solution. Then I wonder if there 3d models of those plastics....
I was going to work on building molds to make fiberglass or CF subframe, but it is a big cost investment and a huge time investment. I'd rather put the money and a little time on a designing a steel subframe I could bolt cheap plastics to. Some fabricator could make a jig for a reasonable upfront tooling fee, I'm sure they would get more than a few orders pretty soon.

F451

I was wondering what the cheapest set of plastics would be. Looking further into the future, building a subframe for the cheapest/most common rear plastics would probably be the most economic solution. Then I wonder if there 3d models of those plastics....
I was going to work on building molds to make fiberglass or CF subframe, but it is a big cost investment and a huge time investment. I'd rather put the money and a little time on a designing a steel subframe I could bolt cheap plastics to. Some fabricator could make a jig for a reasonable upfront tooling fee, I'm sure they would get more than a few orders pretty soon.

Plastics are so cheap I wouldn't even worry about finding which set is the "cheapest", but like you mentioned, using the most common is a good idea. I would think any of the plastics for any of the majors will be around for some time now in the aftermarket if not from the OEM's.

Same with sub frames, its not like there's a shortage of OEM take offs out there, plenty of them on ebay and CL, just pick the one you like and get the matching plastics.

Its really not a big deal, especially when your Alta plastic sub frame fails. Then just cut out the aluminum sub frame mounts that meet the frame/bulkhead and have your favorite welder weld them onto the sub frame. With a minimal amount of care they could be matched up easily.

Or do like you mentioned and fab a sub frame from scratch from your favorite metal, but then you're into matching up mounting holes for the seat and plastics besides the frame mounts. Seems a lot easier to just use an existing sub frame with its matching plastics and seat (if the Alta seat could not be matched up easily).

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
If you want to use plastic from another OEM, a Honda with dual mufflers makes the most sense, as the bike would be in symmetrical with anything else

metallic88

Ouch! Are you sure?? This is sandpaper!
people use the high grit around the boot area(companies sell it also thats already cut for the bikes. been around since aluminum frames started). but there's also 3m protective tape like what the graphics are made out of, just giving ideas of protecting the frame without plastics.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...pe-zilla-09-12_g03_1024x1024.jpg?v=1537571574
http://www.motoxaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Screen-Shot-2016-03-31-at-12.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
people use the high grit around the boot area(companies sell it also thats already cut for the bikes. been around since aluminum frames started). but there's also 3m protective tape like what the graphics are made out of, just giving ideas of protecting the frame without plastics.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2...pe-zilla-09-12_g03_1024x1024.jpg?v=1537571574
http://www.motoxaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Screen-Shot-2016-03-31-at-12.jpg
The only ones that I saw up close were all plastic with a rough looking surface.

My boots' hinges are already wearing through on the inside. I can't imagine using actual sandpaper near the boots or pants.