Thinking about making the plastics for alta

privateer703

AOF Addict
I started doing the same thing and got one side molded, but I had to stop after we moved out of our house and I no longer have any space to continue the project. Love to see how it comes out. Once we get back into a house I'll continue working on it. Also plan on making molds to create replacement rear subframes.... sometime in the future.

metallic88

I started doing the same thing and got one side molded, but I had to stop after we moved out of our house and I no longer have any space to continue the project. Love to see how it comes out. Once we get back into a house I'll continue working on it. Also plan on making molds to create replacement rear subframes.... sometime in the future.
thats cool, i have access to a lot of injection mold machines, and ive been thinking about making some for a while, but I want to get it done lol, once i tear the plastics off my mxr and scan them Ill post the pictures of what im thinking, ill probably print some prototypes as well.

privateer703

AOF Addict
If you have access to that kind of equipment and can scan you can really do some cool things. Idea's I had if I could do that was to redesign subframe parts so there was a battery cavity directly under the seat for those of us who made MXR/EXR conversions. Pulling the rear fender piece off to get to the batteries is a pain. Also making the number plates reversible wouldn't be too difficult. Saves on mold costs and means 1 spare covers you if any side breaks.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I think many of us active members on here would be interested in "aftermarket" plastic replacements. Do you have any examples of injection mold work you have done in the past?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Yup, @fammxdesign will take care of our graphics needs no problem. I've had Blake make me graphics on a customized template i drew up for him. They came out perfect! We'll just need to provide him with an accurate cutout of any new plastics we come up with.

metallic88

The reversible number plates are making a comeback! This design can be used as the front number too.

View attachment 4121

I think the way they mount makes it so they cant be that way unless i make them in 4 pieces(my idea since i got my mx though is to make them closer to the bike and make them a little bigger), but ill see I'm going to scan them in a few weeks when I pull them off my mxr.

VINSANITY

Would really like if the shrouds were very narrow - the Alta frame is a nice slim design but the shrouds are too wide in my opinion - also need to get rid of those ribs that hurt you knees

Maybe copy something like an early 2000’s KX shroud which is basically a flat piece of plastic