The Tire Thread

Butch

Poseur
there is already this

Tires for the enduro models

...but I wanted to share that I just put Michelin Star Cross Medium tires on the EX and the back is a 120-90-18. It is too tall. I should have gotten the 80 profile. The clearance between the mudguard at the swingarm is pretty minimal and problematic in muddy conditions. It jams with mud which is only really a problem if you need to back up. You can't without bending the mudflap 180 degrees, unless you hold things in some bizarre fashion. PITA.

Oded

I used the Michelin Starcross tire 18 120/90 for a while on me EX. Not my favorite tire - too stiff for the rocky terrain I ride on.

In order to make it fit, added few links to the chain, enabling the tire to move backwards a bit.

Motophyllic

I have the Kenda equilibrium 4.5 -18. It’s a huge tire, but no problems with the mudflap. Added two links to the chain.

image.jpg

Trialsman

I put on a Trelleborg 120/100 tire last week for the snow and ice. The concern I had was comments about the 100 series being too tall as I have studs that stick out another 3/8" on top of the tall sidewall. I moved the tire back in the adjustment and took a gamble. I am pleased to report that after the ride there was not one indication of a scrape or gouge on either the mudflap or the inner fender surface. It was mostly single track and I started hitting obsticals slowly, then worked up to speed. Looks like it was a success.

wwmotors

If You move the rear axle more back by adding link to the chain, You loose weighttransfer and grip when accelerating, especially in slippery conditions! Chainlenght is not only important for the chaintension, but also for traction! :)

Motophyllic

If You move the rear axle more back by adding link to the chain, You loose weighttransfer and grip when accelerating, especially in slippery conditions! Chainlenght is not only important for the chaintension, but also for traction! :)
Very true, I was struggling with traction to begin with on slippery slopes, so I went with the tubliss system and run very low pressure to get all the traction I need.

Trialsman

These save a lot of weight too. Instead of carrying a chain saw for trail maintenance, you just pull up over a fallen tree and spin the wheel. Cuts them up pretty quick. Seriously though, they can be frightening on concrete road sections as NO rubber touches - only tungsten.

Just going to bump this one not create another...

I'm near ready to rock but i am going to change the OEM tyres (tires). We run a 110 stock rear here, and the Alta came with Dunlops that dont exist here anyway lol.

Whats people running and getting on well with (Motocross only please)?.

Was just going to go with the Dunlop MX33 F&R but thought to ask what you are using and getting good wear out of?. As the Alta is a tire shredder i understand & i plan to make full use of that feature!.

Kenda is getting about a bit over here, the Millville 2 seems popular. All depends on the tracks i guess....

Be nice to hear what your doing well with!.

snydes

Staff member
I haven’t had a Dunlop up front that hasn’t chunked out on me on the terrain I typically ride. Bridgestone M59 is the only thing I will use up front, and while most MX guys will roll their eyes, Shinko 525’s in back. They are cheap, wear very well, but they are heavy.

Thanks for that Steve.

What about the Pirelli MX32 Mid-soft?, Or the Michelin Starcross 5 Medium?. Anyone.....

wwmotors

Thanks for that Steve.

What about the Pirelli MX32 Mid-soft?, Or the Michelin Starcross 5 Medium?. Anyone.....
I ride on the Michelin Starcross 5 Medium after the Dunlop junking disaster of the stock tyres! Mainly on hard soil tracks here in Germany and also in winter in the MX-hall at temperatures around 5-10 degrees Celsius. I think, the Michelin has the best cost to mileage ratio. Also very good balance and grip. I stay with that tyres.

Ok, thanks for that Mr.WW. A good report there for the Starcross 5. in Medium.

No stock anywhere in the U.K. of the MX32's or the Starcross 5 Mediums, direct from the suppliers!.