The Alta Factory LHRB

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
OneLapper have you determined a length of the needed hydraulic line yet?

I spent a while routing the 1/4" DOT air line through the chassis and behind the SM's mask/display/horn to get a measurement for the LHRB brake line. I realize the MX and MXR don't have nearly as much stuff to work around but I think I have a good estimate of 1330mm from centerline of the lower banjo fitting to the end of the fitting that screws into the MC.

The brake line needs straight fittings on both ends. Tuesday I can call Galfer and ??? to see what they have in stock that will work with the Brembo MC and the Clake sleeve.

WoodsWeapon

Thank you. I aquired a Brembo master today, and will be ordering the Clake sleeve next. So your line measurement will save me a little hassle. I dont think you need to do anything with the sight glass with Clake sleeve though, I believe it blocks it off without worry. And if Galfer doesnt have anything, try that link to Spiegler I put up earlier in this thread, theyll make custom lengths and fittings.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Thank you. I aquired a Brembo master today, and will be ordering the Clake sleeve next. So your line measurement will save me a little hassle. I dont think you need to do anything with the sight glass with Clake sleeve though, I believe it blocks it off without worry. And if Galfer doesnt have anything, try that link to Spiegler I put up earlier in this thread, theyll make custom lengths and fittings.

Let me know where you find a hose. I'm still waiting for my MX to get fixed then I'll put my kit together.

WoodsWeapon

Will do. I assume shipping from Aus will be the hold up. I also have an extra MME lever for the Brembo that hopefully will give a little more leverage and power.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Will do. I assume shipping from Aus will be the hold up. I also have an extra MME lever for the Brembo that hopefully will give a little more leverage and power.

The Clake sleeves that I ordered have been in customs for a week. Luck of the draw I guess

WoodsWeapon

AJ at Service Honda is a close friend of mine and we were talking about 2 pot rear calipers. He said he has over 200 caliper carriers for 2 pots sitting around for CR250s with shark fins built in he had machined up. There will certainly be some work adapting it to the Alta, but hopefully it will be an easier route than Mark911s carrier fabrication. Ill pick it up in a few days and see how close it is.

WoodsWeapon

Which calipers are they for?

Those adapters/cariers are easy to make. The calipers can be expensive though, $200 used.
He tells me prior to 2001 CRs had dual pistons in the rear. I dont recall that being the case, but I would never question his Honda knowledge. He also believes a typical Nissin front caliper is the same mounting pin locations, so if thats true, most any japanese caliper would fit. No guarantees on the proper distance to the rotor, but all of this is worth a try.
As for the carrier being easy to make, Im an amateur welder at best, and certainly not an aluminum welder, especially regarding brakes. We also discussed the importance of the caliper being square to the rotor, or a spongy feel would result.

snydes

Staff member
Im sure you already know, but the good news is they certainly hold their value better than any other dirt bike.
I thought about building myself one, but then I was reminded how badly those 500's vibrate and how the aluminum frames don't do much to suppress that. If thats actually the case, I don't know. I'm sure wilhem can confirm or deny that. I built a Junior-X clone for my wife and it was a lot of fun to do, so I had entertained the idea of building myself the 500. I then decided against that and bought the MXR instead.

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with left hand rear brakes however. Sorry... :oops:

WoodsWeapon

I also had a JuniorX, and it was a great play bike, but not a race bike. When we built it I thought it was gonna be the ultimate secret weapon for woods racing. Small chassis, light weight, estart, easy to throw around for 2 hours. I failed to factor in the distance from sitting to standing of the small chassis. After an hour of racing, my legs were like jello.

snydes

Staff member
I also had a JuniorX, and it was a great play bike, but not a race bike. When we built it I thought it was gonna be the ultimate secret weapon for woods racing. Small chassis, light weight, estart, easy to throw around for 2 hours. I failed to factor in the distance from sitting to standing of the small chassis. After an hour of racing, my legs were like jello.

But it’s fantastic if you are 5’1”!

WoodsWeapon

I suppose it would be. Ive since built an XR100/CR85 conversion with aftermarket head, stroker crank, and uses a KLX140 piston. One of our series is called thumper class, the only rules are aircooled and under 160cc. Its all adults, and the funnest events of the year.

Mark911

He also believes a typical Nissin front caliper is the same mounting pin locations, so if thats true, most any japanese caliper would fit. .

Not sure what he was driving at but you can't take a front caliper (left hand) and flip it to use on the back (right hand). Everything's backwards.