Testing out the GoPro with the Alta

F451

Took in some trails up at the Reiter ORV area (northeast of Seattle) to test out my new GoPro, definitely need a wind sock. Half day ride, perfect conditions, had a great day. Looking forward to fine tuning my video setup and brushing up on the basic editing. -Ed

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
It surely is picking up a bunch or random noises and static, even if you are standing still. It doesn't sound right. The old GoPros did not require any noise reducing gadgets. Although they used to come in clear protective cases (not sure how they could "hear" though the case, but they did), whereas the new ones come naked. I am wondering if there is something wrong with this camera...

F451

It surely is picking up a bunch or random noises and static, even if you are standing still. It doesn't sound right. The old GoPros did not require any noise reducing gadgets. Although they used to come in clear protective cases (not sure how they could "hear" though the case, but they did), whereas the new ones come naked. I am wondering if there is something wrong with this camera...

From what I'm seeing online the Hero 7 Black is especially prone to wind noise. Mine's been fine except the wind noise. It is amazingly sensitive though, picks up every little sound. The image quality and especially image stabilization are excellent. Next time I'm out I'll be picking up a wind sock for it and testing it out, looking forward to seeing how it does.

F451

That's some pretty rugged area, looks like fun. Might be worth taking a trip over to check it out.

It's a decent little riding area but I'm not sure I would make a special trip to go riding there, its pretty small, limited trail miles, and not as scenic as many of the other riding areas. I went up there to see what it was all about since they re-opened it, and also to test the GoPro. It's also kind of annoying that you have to ride 3+ miles of gravel road to get to the trails. I burned 12 miles just going back and forth from the truck to the trails and back out again after lunch. Then burned up a bunch more gravel road miles trying to figure out where the trails were, Lol.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I've tried a lot of things to dampen the wind noise. Ultimately what i found to work best was to use an external audio recorder placed out of the wind and then add and sync the audio from the recorder to the gopro footage using Adobe Premiere (any video editing software works fine).

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Yes! I recently watched a vid with someone showing (in great detail) how they used a sock to make a wind...sock, for their GoPro, Lol.

When you put the camera in a sock, it makes the video look a little... sock-y? Sock-eyed? Like the inside of a sock. You could use a sheer stocking, but then it just looks like you are filming a first-person robbery scene with pantyhose on your head. Not the look I'm really going for in my vids. Too Tarantino-esque for my taste. Just man up and shove some mud in the mic like any real dirt-biker. The wind noise just makes it sound like you are going faster.