Ten hour report
187 miles
Track Riding only.

First impression

This bike has a ton of torque.
Corners like it’s on a rail
Put’s a major smile on your face.
Brought back fun in riding.
A whole new learning curve to riding a electric bike.
Doesn’t tired you out. Except for answering all questions about the bike.

Battery

I’ve found that at a decent pace in map four it will stay at full power for 42 to 45 minutes.
What works for me is to plug it in to the generator when you come back to the truck. Never had to wait to go back out riding always had enough battery left for the next ride.
I use the 240v charger with a 4000 generator from Harbor Freight at the track. Which I pick up for $280 on sale.

Modifications.
Suspension and Gearing

In stock form was Like riding Pogo stick.
Had to run the settings adjusters all the way in.
Had N2Dirt do the suspension revalving stiffer and a heavier spring.
Rear feels really comfortable and the front forks still working on some fine tuning but really close.

After market

Went to a 14/53 gearing with a new chain.
Hand guards
SXS skid plate.

Replacement parts

Upper shock bolt and collar. Which broke during removal of the shock. Bolt was frozen in the collar
Front chain slider.
New Dunlop rear tire.

Maintenance.

Washing the bike.
Lube the chain.
Toque the spokes.
Check nuts and bolts.
Tire pressure.
Bleed the forks before each ride.
Replace the oil in the primary.

So after ten hours on MXR still having a blast. The bike feels and works better than new now that I have the suspension working. The bike handling hasn’t done anything unusual. Adapted to the no clutch or shifter right away. The hardest thing for me was adapting to how the bike reacts to different throttle positioning over jumps. It’s still strange to hear the tires and the regean in the motor. Have to be super careful when riding in open practices when coming up on other riders that can’t hear you.
Making believers out of my fellow riders that were naysayers. Had a few friends that wanted to hate it while trying it and they are still taking about the bike weeks later.
So far I have not regretted buying the MXR.

snydes

Staff member
Had a few friends that wanted to hate it while trying it and they are still taking about the bike weeks later.

Haha, thats funny! A buddy of mine who is an old die hard gas and oil guy I had him ride mine, he came back with this big grin and goes "I didn't want to like it... but I kinda do!". It was priceless.

What size tire did you go with in the back?

Thanks for sharing (y)

Fog 25

Haha, thats funny! A buddy of mine who is an old die hard gas and oil guy I had him ride mine, he came back with this big grin and goes "I didn't want to like it... but I kinda do!". It was priceless.

What size tire did you go with in the back?

Thanks for sharing (y)
I’am trying a 110 Dunlop.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I prefer a wider rear tire on this bike as well. The narrow ones are too easy to spin up.

I am mounting a Dunlop MX12 in the rear today, also in a 110mm width. It is a new sand/soft terrain tire, the paddles are like on the MX11, but the center blocks are as large as on the MX3S, so it should last on occasional hardpack as well. We will see.

Fog 25

Philip, With a 110 -19 you have to check for the tire hitting thefender. In The MX33 the 110 is 1/2” larger in diameter than the 100. I’ve had the stock tire hit before.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Philip, With a 110 -19 you have to check for the tire hitting thefender. In The MX33 the 110 is 1/2” larger in diameter than the 100. I’ve had the stock tire hit before.
Thanks for the tip, Fog! This rear tire clearance is one more thing to remember and to check every time a new tire is installed.

I installed a 45-tooth rear sprocket at the same time as I installed this 110mm wide tire. I shortened the chain not by the expected 4 links but only by 2 links. So, now my rear wheel is exactly 5/8" farther back than it was before. This, apparently, helped the tire clear the airbox better. It clears the fender itself as well. The bike is now 5/8" longer, and makes it difficult to shut the rear door of the van. I just looked for any witness marks from rubbing, but found less evidence than there was there with an old tire with a stock 53-tooth sprocket and a stock 116-link chain. I will keep an eye on this when I install my next tire.

Mark911

I tried 110 and 120 and ended up with a 100! I found that too much traction in the rear made the bike push coming out of corners. Without a clutch to get the back end to come around it just didn't want to rotate mid corner (typical 1st/2nd gear 450 corners) with the big meats.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps it is a riding style, but I have no problems sliding the Alta around flat corners. I initiate the slide with the rear brake and then catch it with the throttle. The Alta is very easy to rear-steer compared to all other bikes.

I found the stock MXR 100mm tire to be too easy to spin up in all conditions. It also sinks deep in a soft terrain very quickly, it feels like a waste of good horsepower to me.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Oh... one caveat... Perhaps I do not like a wide MX32/MX3S tire myself. It feels too stiff, and it either grips hard or it does not. After the stock MX Bridgestones I have been running a Kenda Southwick II in the rear, and sometimes in the front.

Fod

It's pretty good! I rode it and enjoyed it! But yeah fog, where's the report?!?!

Fog 25

Here’s the report.
The rear suspension was a major improvement over stock very plush no kicking very comfortable on the jump faces and landings, tracks straight.
N2Dirt revalve the suspension stiffer both compression and rebound added a 62mm reservoir. 6.4 spring with 10mm preloaded which gave me 96mm of rider sag. I have gone out about a two and quarter turns out on the high-speed. Left the low-speed and rebond in the middle (15 out). So that tells me we are pretty close.
Forks feel better than stock very plush but still not done with playing with the air and clickers. As I’am riding harder I’ve increased the air ten pounds, from 140psi to 150psi. Every once in awhile I get some deflection other than that very happy with the setup.
N2Dirt revalve the forks stiffer, both compression and rebound and changed out the grease on the air side.
Overall I’m very happy with Brian At N2Dirt revalve. It’s a vast improvement over stock makes it like a totally different motorcycle. I now feel very comfortable when riding that I might try it in a big race here in California soon.