Tempted to sell, kickstand woes

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Depends on what you are going to do with it.

Playing around in the neighborhood or messing around on some trails, the Sur-Ron is capable, and it is a hoot to ride. But I don't think I'd commute on it farther than a few miles. It can hit 50mph, but it's a little on the twitchy side at that speed. The brakes are mountain bike brakes, but it is a 120lb bike, so you aren't going to stop on a dime, and the brakes can overheat on long downhills. You can't take it on the freeway. In Cali, you can plate the Sur-Ron as a moped, but not sure if it is worth it to do so (I just got the moped plate in the mail yesterday, and the plate is wider than the seat!) Still trying to decide whether to mount the plate or not. It's fun, but it is more of a pit-bike size and power. I think I'd probably compare it to a KLX110 or similar, but quieter and a bit more versatile. It's still quite cramped for a full size adult (at least us guys over 6'), although I'd say they'd be great for shorter folks and especially kids and petite ladies. They're excellent for cities. Lots of aftermarket stuff you can do to it, mostly mountain bike parts. And of course, they are still in business!

The EXR is an all around better bike, real power, good commuting, excellent trail bike. Real brakes. Comfortable for adults to ride for more than a few miles. You can take it on the freeway. All the virtues of a legit enduro motorcycle, without the noise or maintenance. It checks all the boxes for performance, maintenance, ease of use, etc. And it is a classic already.

But why choose? The Sur-Ron is cheap enough to keep the EXR and still pick up a Light Bee. Take all the money you save on gas and maintenance with the EXR, and buy a Sur-Ron. Play around in the yard with the Sur-Ron or let the kids or neighbors ride it. Do your serious road/trail work on the EXR.

Or if you are just desperate to get rid of the EXR, I'll swap you straight across for my brand new Sur-Ron with all the upgrades! ;-)

schwankl

the oset 24 is more tempting than sur ron for about the same price - seems much more solidly built for trials and trail riding. The sur ron is more of an e-moped ; oset e-trials ; EXR e-moto / 350cc+ class.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
the oset 24 is more tempting than sur ron for about the same price - seems much more solidly built for trials and trail riding. The sur ron is more of an e-moped ; oset e-trials ; EXR e-moto / 350cc+ class.

Actually, the Sur-Ron and the Oset 24.0 are almost identical if you look at the specs and the price. The real difference is the focus. The Sur-Ron is more of a mountain bike style (street or trail) and the Oset is definitely trials oriented.

The components are almost identical. The same suspensions (RST and DNM mountain bike forks and shock) are used on both. Same 4-piston brakes (Shimano compatible). The Oset is slightly lighter at 47kg vs 50kg for the Sur-Ron. The Sur-Ron has a bigger battery and higher output (60v x 32ah battery with 5200w controller) vs the Oset (48v x 20ah battery). The Sur-Ron quick-change battery is a nicely-designed feature. Both batteries cost about $1500 for a second one.

The Oset is setup for trials, with a bias for low speed torque, with a top speed of about 25mph. The Sur-Ron is setup for street & trail with a top speed of 50mph. But you can get different sprockets to make is go faster or have more torque down low. I assume you can do the same with the Oset.

The Sur-Ron has a seat, lights, and even a USB charger port. And you can commute on it. The Oset is pretty much for trials, although you can get a seat for it if you want.

I'm not actually advocating one over the other. If I could afford it, I'd pick up an Oset 24.0 to go with my Sur-Ron. But they fill different needs.

Specs are here:
24.0 Racing (Adult) - OSET Bikes
Sur Ron X Bike

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
To sell out EXR & purchase a Sur Ron

Change my mind
Have you ridden a SurRon? Comparing our EXRs to SurRons is like comparing watermelons to cherries. Not even in the same ball park. The surron would be like a little league Tball park and the EXR is like a Fenway Park or Wrigley Field. I had a SurRon for a bit. It was a great bike for the price, but nothing compared to the EXR. You will be severely disappointed if you go this route.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
So after my *monster* 73mph eBike build - I realized the benefits of a gray area loop hole eBike just because it has "pedals"
I've since sold that bike but looking to downsize 1 vehicle thus consideration of sur ron

* no registration
* no insurance
* "courtesy" traffic laws ie dont get ran over playing frogger with 3000lbs cars! - EXR requires all as its a "real" motorcycle
* similar commute times sometimes less taking bicycle lanes ie no traffic avg speeds are less but consistently moving
* after initial buy in costs your done as maintience costs on electric are minimal

I'm ontime for work everyday & expect to be ontime after work to perform home related expectations ontime
I purchased a yet to be delivered sur ron
depending on results an Alta EXR 500mi may or may not be for sale - cheap! as what I use it for the sur ron may fill that void & doubt as much as I'm pro Alta they are not an investment monetarily...only emotionally :)

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Status report
My Sur-Ron mx works great as a daily commuter an excellent covert anti-traffic device but needs another 10mph on top
In the dirt the mixture of Mtn bike parts , terrible brakes & motorcycle parts combined with an awkward controller tuning is uninspired
Similar to a terribly jetted crf100

I’m going to try shortening my Altas infuriating overcenter kickstand tomorrow & if I cannot get satisfactorily happy with the solution then even though it’s s proper dirt bike just with an electric motor it’s going to be liquidated

Motophyllic

Your kickstand is too long? Mine is too short. I wish it was just a little longer. Bike tips too much and looks like it’s going to fall over.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Your kickstand is too long? Mine is too short. I wish it was just a little longer. Bike tips too much and looks like it’s going to fall over.
Mine infuriatingly requires I lean the bike 10deg the opposite way to deploy or stow ‘overcenter’