Tempted to sell, kickstand woes

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I'm wondering if there are 2 size kickstands. The Alta parts spreadsheet lists 2 different part numbers for kickstands, one for the SM and one for the "MX". The kickstand on my EXR measures 14" from the foot to the center of the pivot bolt. How about you guys?

Jared

This is my lean on flat ground. The kickstand leg is 15” and the height from the ground to the center of the pivot is 11.5”.

View attachment 3732
Recently bought a second Alta (EX) and it would lean over so far on the sidestand that it couldn’t be trusted not to tip over. I compared the stand bracket to my EXR and found the part the stand rests upon when deployed to be bent. Rather than risking breaking the bracket by trying to straighten it I decided to drill into the soft aluminum leg of the stand and install a bolt to shim it back to the correct position. Also, the stand leg is aluminum and gets dug into pretty aggressively by the stop tab on the bracket. The steel bolt I put in the leg should stop this tab from digging into the stand leg.

2D864256-0266-433D-9C79-703CFB6DCD89.jpeg

F451

I don't use my KTM leg, Alta bracket, hack kickstand install. I don't trust that the small stopper tab will hold over time. I'm wondering if Trail Tech has something that would bolt up to the peg bracket (seem to recall that YZ pegs are a direct swap for Alta pegs?).

schwankl

Kickstand is by far the weakest link and worst part of the bikes. I think @Bionicman sold his solely due to it. The hanger can get f’ed in multiple ways and even start denting the swing arm. As a team let’s come up with a hanger/adapter for ktm or jap bike part integration.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Kickstand is by far the weakest link and worst part of the bikes. I think @Bionicman sold his solely due to it. The hanger can get f’ed in multiple ways and even start denting the swing arm. As a team let’s come up with a hanger/adapter for ktm or jap bike part integration.

yes I sold my bike in large part to not the length or bracketry of the sidestand but the over-center nature - the fact the bike required to lean it 5degrees rider right to fully deploy the sidestand back rider left 2 degrees
forget it supporting itself in anything other than a downhill rider left orientation

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I do not understand what all the issues are with the length of the kickstand. If it is too long -- pull the plastic foot and cut the tube shorter. If it is too short -- pull the plastic foot and add a spacer under it.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I do not understand what all the issues are with the length of the kickstand. If it is too long -- pull the plastic foot and cut the tube shorter. If it is too short -- pull the plastic foot and add a spacer under it.
The root issue is not sidestand length it was the mounting bracket positioning on the motorcycle causing the over center phenomenon

This was me/my bike & has no bearing on the entire run nor was it the sole reasoning I sold my bike but entirely frustrating yes.

I tried shortening my sidestand length in vain as while the bike would lean more on sidestand it was still overcenter & actually fell over once on level ground due to that high weight

I suspect the engineering reasoning behind the configuration was the very high center of gravity on the motorcycle to aid in handling of the motorcycle

I’ll take handling over a stupid sidestand bracket any day a trade off but nonetheless a frustrating one for me

rayivers

I guess I'm one of the few that really likes my MXR's kickstand. After years of replacing/lengthening/shortening/bending/welding/refooting kickstands and then manhandling the bike to get one wheel slightly off the ground, I love how (on pavement or hard ground) I can easily lift/spin either wheel during washing and prop up the swingarm for chain lubing. It seems like this balance-point placement has to have been intentional, as no other bike I've owned has even been close. Mine also works well for me in the dirt as long as it's not super soft or downhill from the tire contact patch, but I run a 5.8 spring with substantial sag so the lean angle is usually manageable.

Jared

I checked and my stoppers is bent too. That’s why my bike leans extra.
I rode my bike all over town this morning and kickstand is working great. I think the brack
I ride my bike for all my errands around town this morning, and the bolt install definitely got my kickstand working great. I would have just welded up the stop tab, but I wanted to stop the tab from digging into the soft aluminum leg and I wanted the force from the leg to be applied to the tab closer to its base to limit leverage on the tab. So putting in the bolt killed two birds with one stone and made the stopping point of the sidestand leg adjustable. If I ever have any more trouble with the stand, I will weld up and remachine the stop tab.

Jayfox911

Has anyone found an option that will work on these bikes as an aftermarket kickstand?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I tried shortening my sidestand length in vain as while the bike would lean more on sidestand it was still overcenter & actually fell over once on level ground due to that high weight

I am trying to wrap my head around this. What do you mean by "overcenter" ?

Do you mean that the suspension shouldn't extend when the bike is leaned to the left?

I suspect the engineering reasoning behind the configuration was the very high center of gravity on the motorcycle to aid in handling of the motorcycle
The CG height on Altas is actually much lower than on other dirt bikes. So the CG height is not it. Have you owned any other motocross/enduro bikes with a soft suspension with long travel and with a side stand, which performed better?

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I am trying to wrap my head around this. What do you mean by "overcenter" ?

Do you mean that the suspension shouldn't extend when the bike is leaned to the left?

The CG height on Altas is actually much lower than on other dirt bikes. So the CG height is not it. Have you owned any other motocross/enduro bikes with a soft suspension with long travel and with a side stand, which performed better?
ROFLOL - I've ridden/owned a few bike in my time here...

mounting/lean angle
of kickstand of normal motorcycle - imagine sitting on most bikes you lean motorcycle over 1.9 degrees toward rider right deploy kickstand then support on side stand @ 4 degrees of lean support motorcycle on side stand exiting seated position

overcenter = imagine sitting on bike you lean motorcycle over 7 degrees toward rider right to enable kickstand to fully deploy then support on side stand @ 2 degrees of rider left lean then support motorcycle on side stand exiting seated position

I honestly didnt put much thought into how to remedy the situation other than taking a cut off wheel to sidestand shorting it by 5/8 in thus making situation worse...

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
overcenter = imagine sitting on bike you lean motorcycle over 7 degrees toward rider right to enable kickstand to fully deploy then support on side stand @ 2 degrees of rider left lean then support motorcycle on side stand exiting seated position
How about getting off the bike first and deploying the kickstand while not sitting on the bike compression the overly soft suspension?

I honestly didnt put much thought into how to remedy the situation other than taking a cut off wheel to sidestand shorting it by 5/8 in thus making situation worse...
I am trying to solve the problem, but I am not seeing a problem here. Why does shortening the kickstand make the situation worse?