TCMB 3D Printed Parts

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I'm suggesting you rapidly prototype the fit with PET or even ABS, the when ready, upload your design to shapeways and have them print your production part in nylon.

I understand. I'm going to do more testing with this latest revision in PETG and then step up to ABS if i'm not satisfied with the durability. Going the shapeways route really isn't cost effective in my opinion as it would drastically drive the price of the part up.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
First version of the TCMB lower chain slider is ready. They will be available for purchase once Philip sets up my storefront on the website.

First version is a 2 piece design, which reduces printing time and plastic.

IMG_20190604_082151.jpg
IMG_20190604_082225.jpg
IMG_20190604_082220.jpg

Installation should take all of 5 minutes. Steps to install will be:
Prerequisite: If your current slider is very worn, you may need to loosen the chain a little before installing new slider.
1. Remove left boot guard.
2. Slide off stock chain slider.
3. Slide main chain slider piece onto left boot guard.
4. Slide space onto left boot guard with the indented groove facing inward on the bike.
5. Reinstall left boot guard.
6. Set proper chain tension/slack

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
That is super cool - is it more sturdy than the stock one

Just getting the rough design worked out right now using cheap PLA. Still need to make a few more tweaks. But I'm hoping I can make a brace much stronger than the stock one.

Here's rev2 of the design. I added bracing and increased thickness in areas and it's a lot stronger. Also modified the appearance of the brake guide.

received_182515666144784.png

IMG_20200126_143008.jpg

snydes

Staff member
What the original Alta design really needed was an additional mounting location in the center and it would have had significantly better. Too much space between mounting points means too much room for flex.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
What the original Alta design really needed was an additional mounting location in the center and it would have had significantly better. Too much space between mounting points means too much room for flex.

Yup, agreed. I already have a version modeled and printed that would utilize a upper central hole that would need to be drilled and tapped into the triple clamp. Just initially want to focus on getting the stock style mount as strong as i can make it for those that don't want to modify their lower triple clamp.

This was a failed print, unfortunately.

15800898162963247292558955384090.jpg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Final revision before initial track testing! I modified the brake line mount a bit and beveled in some edges for clearance reasons. The whole mount feels very strong and has virtually 0 flex. Even the stock metal mount has a little flex to it.

Looks way better than the stock black hook!
IMG_20200126_191341.jpg

IMG_20200126_191430.jpg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Printed the first front fender bracket in PETG. Looks really good in black! PETG is likely the best thermoplastic for this application. It's very difficult to snap, especially beyond a few mm's of thickness.

Will be track testing a few versions this weekend to make sure it holds up to rough track riding.

IMG_20200127_163653.jpg

IMG_20200127_163812.jpg

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I like! Especially the thumb wheel. Now I wish I still had my Kreft Revalve Control suspension, and I wish it had worked for me. Then I would be thumbing those HSC screws every day!

I think part of the problem with the stock fender brake design is that the two front fender bolts are too far ahead of the triple clamp. They create too much leverage to bend the bracket. If another pair of fender mount bolts are added aft of the two front bolts, the fender will be carrying more of the vertical load.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I want one of those thumb wheels. In red or black please. Hope you are going to make some for sale.

Here is my "tool-less" solution to all other suspension screws:

IMG_20200128_2134480.jpg