TCMB 3D Printed Parts

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Working on a replacement left boot guard that fills in the lower gap. A bit more work to do on this piece before I attempt to print it. Still need to add the "case saver" pieces to it.

1549161682438.png

1549161750240.png

I also bought a spare left side motor cover that i plan on using to model a thin lower guard where the chain rubs the cover occasionally.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Finally got my PETG settings dialed in and made the very first usable part, shown below in black. Now to test it on the bike!

This slider should be a lot more durable than the stock Alta lower chain sliders. I've gone through 3 stock lower chain sliders already in 50 hours of riding; I even blew threw a brand new one completely in only one race day!

Once I've tested it with a few hours of riding and confirm it's function, I'll start offering it to owners for purchase. Each slider takes roughly 5 hours to print at the strongest settings.
IMG_20190313_073553.jpg
IMG_20190313_073620.jpg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I would like to test the slider through a couple rides to make sure nothing goes wrong before starting sell them. I've tested it on the stand and around my house and it works great so far. I'll be putting it through some hard motos this weekend and that will be the true test.

Happy to report that even though my slider is a lot stiffer than the stock slider, there isn't a noticeable increase in chain noise (maybe just slightly if anything).

IMG_20190315_133240.jpgIMG_20190315_133248.jpg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Made some tools. This PETG is strong stuff so i'm hoping it will be strong enough to withstand 36ftlb .

Fork Cap Wrench:

1553180251820.png

Fork Cap Socket:

1553182158530.png
1553182247093.png

Mikec265

If that slider holds up better to mud riding, I'd definitely like to buy a couple. A roller set up would be better, but I don't how we could figure out a mount for it.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Are you posting these on Thingiverse or another site for download?

Yeah, i'll post the tools on thingiverse as it took all of a couple minutes to design. The chain sliders I intend to sell, though, because it took a lot more of my time in modeling and testing to get right.

If that slider holds up better to mud riding, I'd definitely like to buy a couple. A roller set up would be better, but I don't how we could figure out a mount for it.

I'll be working on a roller version as well. I ordered a couple lower chain rollers with dual ball bearings and intend to mock up a mount for it.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Long story short, after extensive testing the version of the lower chain slider with the ALTA wording will not suffice. They did not hold up well in my testing and i would not feel comfortable offering them to the community.

That said, I've since designed a new version (rev 3 at this point) that has been holding up well in my testing so far. This version is much stronger structurally, with additional thickness added to the mounting point and increased rigidity throughout.

1553785626551.png

I'm also going to work on a print setup for ABS and test with that material. ABS is much more difficult to print but offers increased strength and has a higher glass transition temperature than PETG.