Talk me into buying an Alta. Talk me out of buying an Alta.

Butch

Poseur
Welcome. I guess I’ll have to go ride mine to celebrate your new life. It is a differeny experience, especially in how the general public reacts to a dirtbike. Suddenly, you are not a hooligan... unless you really are...

F451

Is it the best bike you've ever ridden? I know mine is.

Yes, easily, and I’ve owned a number of really nice, well setup dirt bikes over the years. Can’t wait to put more miles on it , I can see there’s lots more potential as I figure out how to take advantage of it. It really is a whole different experience and I much prefer it over ICE bikes.

And thanks for all the kind words, loving the celebration rides, just got back after putting in another 15 miles in the gnar. Happy as a clam but my body is wasted, ha ha.

Butch

Poseur
Great pics. A man and his pug...
I love the trail pic. OK if I share it? Though I prolly have to ask Philp, or read the terms of service for the Alta Owners Forum...

F451

Great pics. A man and his pug...
I love the trail pic. OK if I share it? Though I prolly have to ask Philp, or read the terms of service for the Alta Owners Forum...

Thanks, the puggerino is the best.

And yes, no problem sharing the pics, here's the link back to my smugmug site you can use, no additional permissions or whatever needed from that site:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2018-Alta-MXR/i-n83hrxp/0/d5d889de/M/IMG_4187-M.jpg

There are some more pics of the property where we ride locally if you're interested, nothing special about the pics, just some I snapped the other day while out on the Alta. 80 acres of awesomeness not to far from my house, its our local "training" area, I feel very fortunate to have access to it.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/2018-Alta-MXR/i-6fkmzXp/0/3634e69c/M/IMG_4180-M.jpg

F451

It's time for us to set up a thread for organising random ride weekends!

Yes! And I've been thinking about putting together the "First Annual PacNW Alta Spring Opener" since I got my MXR!

But I'm kinda lazy.

But I will have to knuckle down and put something together. I'll start another thread and we'll pick somewhere to ride, no shortage of amazing riding up here, would be fun to get the lecky bikes together. I've heard when in storage they tend to spontaneously huddle together, so an all Alta ride would be appropriate. ICE bikes would be welcome of course, but they would need to ride at the back of the pack, so noisey and smelly, Lol.

MV5BOTFmOTA0M2UtMTY3Yi00ZWUwLTllMTQtODVhYWYwMTA3Yzc3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM5ODIyNw@@._V1_.jpg

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
To the OP.

Personally if it was me, I would wait until I seen what aftermarket parts & services are going to be offered. It makes no sense to purchase something with no support.

With that said, this forum gives me hope. There are some smart peeps in here. Way smarter than me in some areas. OK, most areas!

The downside to waiting, is that you may not be able to find one in the condition that you desire. New ones are going to be expensive. Used ones are going to be used, obviously, and in most cases broken. Although the savvy owner, through this forum, may get back on the track or trail.

The biggest hurdle is the battery pack and supporting electrics. I pray in time we will be self supporting in this area. Lets not kid ourselves, we are on our own in all areas, as of this writing.

Good luck with your decision!

F451

All the PNW guys should come up to BC for the old timers MX race in August 👍

The BC terrain is too hard core! Lol. Just kidding, the riding there is epic, that is a great idea.

Summerland, '06. I'll just wheelie over this little creek...ah nope, ha ha. Almost kissed the fender, but stayed on the bike!

Ed_BC%20Ride.jpg

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Hell yes! Details?
https://www.oldtimersmx.com

There are actually a buch of events along the West Coast. I hope to get to more of them one of these years.

Each round is a 5 moto format over two days. 15 to 20 minutes depending on your class. Two years ago here I had the only Alta. Last year in BC there were three of us on Altas, and I would love to see that number grow for a third year, despite what happened with the company.

F451

To the OP.

Personally if it was me, I would wait until I seen what aftermarket parts & services are going to be offered. It makes no sense to purchase something with no support.

With that said, this forum gives me hope. There are some smart peeps in here. Way smarter than me in some areas. OK, most areas!

The downside to waiting, is that you may not be able to find one in the condition that you desire. New ones are going to be expensive. Used ones are going to be used, obviously, and in most cases broken. Although the savvy owner, through this forum, may get back on the track or trail.

The biggest hurdle is the battery pack and supporting electrics. I pray in time we will be self supporting in this area. Lets not kid ourselves, we are on our own in all areas, as of this writing.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the input, but that ship has sailed, completed the journey, docked, the goods have been unloaded, and put into use already. See post # 38 above.

I love this bike and I'm so glad I bought it. If it croaks for good tomorrow, I will have no regrets. -Ed

Ps: Going to see about rigging up a headlight and brake light soon for hooning around the neighborhood, although I may have to start buying rear tires by the pallet load. Holy cow, two 15 mile rides in the dirt and I can see my rear knobs are worn as hell already, Lol.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Thanks for the input, but that ship has sailed, completed the journey, docked, the goods have been unloaded, and put into use already. See post # 38 above.

I love this bike and I'm so glad I bought it. If it croaks for good tomorrow, I will have no regrets. -Ed

Ps: Going to see about rigging up a headlight and brake light soon for hooning around the neighborhood, although I may have to start buying rear tires by the pallet load. Holy cow, two 15 mile rides in the dirt and I can see my rear knobs are worn as hell already, Lol.
By how quiet it's been lately, I presume you have been out enjoying the new toy in the nice weather we have had the last few days.

F451

By how quiet it's been lately, I presume you have been out enjoying the new toy in the nice weather we have had the last few days.

Unfortunately, been busy with other things lately, but scored a fast charger, got a new generator delivered, and installed an SXS skidplate. Hoping to get out on it this weekend, but will see.

F451

Got my MXR plated yesterday! I'm officially road legal. Except my bike has no road legal bits on it, Lol. It was quite the challenge getting it through the system but my act dumb (not very hard to do), be annoyingly friendly, and annoyingly persistent, and willing to drive to a few different licensing offices strategy worked once again!

Am not getting to ride it as much as I would like this summer, but am still loving it. -Eddie

AltaChangeMyMind2-S.jpg

F451

Hey Ed, we should try to get another ride or two in before the weather totally goes to crap on us.

Would love to, we need get some of the other PacNW guys to come along too. Unfortunately my health (nothing life threatening) has been up and down lately, so hard for me to predict when I'll have enough energy to get out trail riding. I'm hoping to rebound soon and get out there, will keep in touch.