Swapping MXR/EXR front suspension

privateer703

AOF Addict
Vinsanity and I are talking about swapping our front suspension. Are there any considerations we need to worry about? Are the wheel spacers the same or should we swap those as well? I assume the triple trees are the same.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is a direct swap. However, the EXR fork will feel too soft on the MXR, so you'd either have to respring/revalve it or swap the rear shocks as well.

privateer703

AOF Addict
That's why we want to swap. I find the front to stiff for my style of riding, would love it if it felt a little softer. We already swapped rear shocks. I'm guessing the pumps have the same connection and we wouldn't have to swap those as well?

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
They'll bolt right up. The EXR has the XPLOR48 coil spring forks, no air pump needed or required, but you will need to get the right springs for your weigh. Its a lot softer feeling than the MXR's AER48.

privateer703

AOF Addict
So I need to send the pump with the forks. I'm a pretty light rider, I'm guessing 165 lbs geared up, so I really doubt I'll need to change the springs. I'm looking for a softer feel.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Yeah, the stock springs should be pretty close for 165lbs. I'm 185-190 and they are soft. but then again I mostly ride my EXR on vet motocross tracks. The XPLOR48 is meant for offroad and soaking up roots/chatter/etc, and i think it does that pretty well.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Also, no worries if you need to change springs in the XPLOR48. They are super easy to work on. You'll just need the WP cap wrench, and a 24mm or adjustable wrench, and of course the new spring.

1. Remove front number plate front wheel, and unbolt the front brake caliper from the bracket on the fork.
  2. Loosen the top triple clamp bolts.
  3. Loosen the top cap on each fork (dont remove all the way.
  4. Loosen the lower triple clamp bolts and slide the tubes out.
  5. Loosen the fork cap all the way.
  6. Slide the upper fork tube all the way down, exposing the spring.
  7. Compress the spring down so that the nut below the top cap is exposed, then slide your 24mm wrench onto it.
  8. Unscrew the top cap from the damper rod.
  9. Slide the spring upward and out.
  10. Install new spring.
  11. Reinstall everything by following steps in reverse.