SUR-RON MX

aremean79

Your bike looks stock except for thr fork and tires correct?

Imagine how much faster you would have been with all the upgrades I mentioned above.
Yup its all stock, except for rear tires, bigger thicker bash plate, chain primary drive and fork (didnt need it actually but I have the 2012 Fox 40 sitting in my store room)
I dont think I need more power or anything else for that matter.

jasonjm

Yup its all stock, except for rear tires, bigger thicker bash plate, chain primary drive and fork (didnt need it actually but I have the 2012 Fox 40 sitting in my store room)
I dont think I need more power or anything else for that matter.

You don't do many hills climbs then? Coz on a steep hill the stock surron is zzzzzz

jasonjm

There were a crazy lot of super steep hill climbs and I managed to get up using momentum.

yeah you can get up them.... im just saying any uphill that is over 20 degrees and is not full of rocks or ruts, im at full throttle, and the bike is not giving me the power i want. it needs like 50% more power.

enjoythesilenc

Not trying to promote Chinese products rather thinking this is a cool niche to develop a competitor to the light bee.

The light weight just puts it in a different category. The storm bee will just another heavy trailbike. The suspension will be upgradeable but everyone assumes you can hot rod the electrics, too. Big assumption.

My light bee is about 90 percent optimized for how I ride. I added a different controller that doubles the power. Built a new battery to feed that power with 50 percent more kwh.

It pulls harder than map one alta up to about 25mph. It feels about like a kx100. Top speed is about 45 now even with 14/71 sprockets. Stock is 14 48...20200823_073506.jpg16000 watts which i hope will let me pull the hills i use to fail on

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Not trying to promote Chinese products rather thinking this is a cool niche to develop a competitor to the light bee.

The light weight just puts it in a different category. The storm bee will just another heavy trailbike. The suspension will be upgradeable but everyone assumes you can hot rod the electrics, too. Big assumption.

My light bee is about 90 percent optimized for how I ride. I added a different controller that doubles the power. Built a new battery to feed that power with 50 percent more kwh.

It pulls harder than map one alta up to about 25mph. It feels about like a kx100. Top speed is about 45 now even with 14/71 sprockets. Stock is 14 48...View attachment 578016000 watts which i hope will let me pull the hills i use to fail on
How about posting a pic of your machine?

schwankl

I pulled the trigger on one this summer and got it last week. I am only 6'1 and it's too small for me. I knew this before hand; got it for my daughters...my 11yr old daughter loves it tho - she has been putting several hours on it every day. Battery/Range is great. Suspension needed to be tuned and several joints were creaking out of box - some lithium spray and wd40 fixed it. To me feels like a medium or small mountain bike...definitely smaller than my bbshd knolly chilcotin with a large frame. Another odd thing about the bike: without the speed-limiting wire cut the bike is unpredictable @~75% throttle - gets random bursts of power - not safe. After cutting it (green-black wire to battery) which allows it to go >25mph its more predictable.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
My son loved his Light Bee X. But he finally got tall enough that I sold it and bought an Alta MX for him instead. For around town, the Light Bee was probably more practical and convenient. But we do trail riding and a little MX, so the Alta was a must.

The good news is that I got pretty much full price for the Light Bee when I sold it. The supply constraints on the Light Bee make used ones hold their value pretty well for the moment. Wait times are about 6-8 weeks right now from Luna in the US.

snydes

Staff member
Hey, purpose built isn’t always pretty! You bringing this to the off road ride? I’ve been wanting to see one in person.

enjoythesilenc

Yes I'll bring her along as she works very well for everything there except the hillclimbs. But what good is a dirtbike that can't do hillclimbs? That is what forced me to try all the modifications.

I'm following a kid on one of the fun sections there:

Rix

Hey, purpose built isn’t always pretty! You bringing this to the off road ride? I’ve been wanting to see one in person.
EXACTLY what Snydes said. Function over form everytime. But it is nice to have it look trick too.

Rix

Yes I'll bring her along as she works very well for everything there except the hillclimbs. But what good is a dirtbike that can't do hillclimbs? That is what forced me to try all the modifications.

I'm following a kid on one of the fun sections there:

[DIA]
I put one of Kim Reeg's 64T sprocket on the rear of my SurRon, it climbs very well for 7HP machine. But top speed is reduced to 35MPH.

enjoythesilenc

35 mph is a good compromise.

I forgot to mention that she has 4 maps now. Turbo, Normal, Eco and the sneaky Reverse:cool: I can't wait to surprise my buddies with it (but now I can't trick snydes if he wants to ride it)

I20200828_065423.jpg

Its heavy for a surron but i don't know if reverse will ever be needed. I also have the old school kill button from the crf hooked up as a Regen button. Usually you tie that function into the brake lever switches but I like to do 0 mph stuff using the throttle and the brake at nearly the same time.

autohog

Very interesting, thanks for posting! I hope the pic is not representative of the final product as I see some features that I am not a fan of, but will reserve further judgement until the actual bikes are delivered and in the hands of enthusiasts.

I hope they use as much off the shelf components as possible, as well as stick with established geometry, etc. No need to re-invent the wheel while they're trying to get these e-dirt bikes off the ground. Plenty of time to try new and innovative ideas once the battery and motor technology has been proven (to the rest of the world, I know we're already on board).
Totally agree. I don't understand why these companies don't stick with proven geometry established over years of R&D testing. Nothing comes close to an Alta. I was hoping the Honda teaser would of been developed. The only real alternative and true MX bike.

aremean79

Totally agree. I don't understand why these companies don't stick with proven geometry established over years of R&D testing. Nothing comes close to an Alta. I was hoping the Honda teaser would of been developed. The only real alternative and true MX bike.

I am very lucky to have received a unit of the very limited number of preproduction Storm Bee last Saturday. I now understand why the rear shock is positioned the way it is; its positioned in such an angle so that the battery can be easily removed (a huge accessible space is needed therefore the rear shock mount cant be anymore forward than it currently is).

Check out the top of the frame with the Battery removed (my tech guy is holding the battery) and u will get the picture.

p.s. mounting the shock at such an angle is also nothing new. Its been proven to work equally well before.

20200912_234613.jpg