Sur-Ron Boom Bee (Storm Bee) electric motorcycle spy photo's soon released

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Man, there's so much similarity in appearance to our Redshifts. The subframe and rear fender look similar. Looks like they might even be using a honda front fender, too.

To bad they didn't just decide to buy out the dieing Alta and "start" their mx/offroad business off on a fantastic foundation....

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Man, there's so much similarity in appearance to our Redshifts. The subframe and rear fender look similar. Looks like they might even be using a honda front fender, too.

To bad they didn't just decide to buy out the dieing Alta and "start" their mx/offroad business off on a fantastic foundation....

That would have been awesome if they just built a Redshift clone. The Sur-Ron "Red Transfer Bee." (As long as we are sticking with the oddly translated names.)

I certainly like the "Storm Bee" name better than the "Boom Bee" name. Wonder if that was supposed to be something like "Lightning bug" or similar?

Potatonet

“Don't expect the technician to come up with any good ideas“

^^^

Also looks like it has a left hand rear brake or some kind of clutch to release the e drive?

Wouldn’t it be nice 👍

teddyquinn

The interesting question is will the dual sport version be imported... Or strictly off road.

If they do intend to export to USA, and be road legal, they'll need a foot pedal operated rear brake in stock trim. Ride Cake's Kalk& has a pedal operated rear brake, though their off road only model has two levers - this was done primarily for the USA market, as the EU enforces no such mandate.

Additionally, spoke with the fuell.us team earlier this year, and they mentioned that the only way to get around the rule of needing a pedal operated rear brake is if a single lever controls both, which their motorcycle (the Flow) does / will do: one handlebar-mounted brake lever that actuates the front caliper and adds resistance to rear wheel-based motor.

I worry about the US market for this bike both in the presence of ever-increasing tariffs on Chinese goods (encompassing motorcycles), as well a moto culture slow to adopt electric (especially if said vehicle does not out-perform Alta, which this doesn't). Certainly am excited, though I feel Sur Ron's target is the EU, where KTMs Freeride E is selling well.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
I was looking at the rules around motorcycle brakes in the US, and all it really says is that you need two separate braking systems for the front and rear, so that if one fails the other one still works. It didn't specify that you needed a foot brake or lever brake for the rear. It does set standards for min/max foot pedal and lever forces, but doesn't say you are required to have a foot brake.

teddyquinn

I was looking at the rules around motorcycle brakes in the US, and all it really says is that you need two separate braking systems for the front and rear, so that if one fails the other one still works. It didn't specify that you needed a foot brake or lever brake for the rear. It does set standards for min/max foot pedal and lever forces, but doesn't say you are required to have a foot brake.

IIRC, the law is that - for full size motorcycles with automatic transmissions - that a handlebar-mounted rear brake can be a supplemental feature, though a pedal mounted rear brake is the primary mechanism. Here's some detail on it with a helpful table:Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 4.15.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 4.15.23 PM.png