Supermoto Tire Change

ChrisG

So the rear tire on my SM is past due for replacement at a little over 5000 miles, and I'm ordering a replacement. I've installed plenty of tubeless sportbike tires before, and a few tubed dirtbike tires, but never a tube inside a tubeless tire. Anything special I should look out for when mounting the new tire and seating the bead? Is there a recommended tube for this application? Any reason to use stick on versus spoke weights for balancing?

datadog

Make sure the spoke ends are not protruding into the wheel. The Warp 9 wheels seem to have an issue with this. Those ends will puncture a tube quite quickly. Other than that, it is the same procedure. Any tube should work, I prefer the Metzeler tubes, they are heavy duty. Balance it with whatever weights you are comfortable using. If you use stick on weights, cover them with duct tape.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I use a plenty of lube made out of reconstituted hand soap on both the rim and the tire prior to assembly. Else you'd have to pump up this SM tire above 80psi to seat the bead, whereas the tire says to never inflate it above 50psi.

You can get a good deal on all kinds of Alta OEM tires and inner tubes from @ayden_kry

Jon

Similar question:

Just picked up a set of OEM SM wheels from Liquid Performance for my EX. I've got some tubeless slicks to install for some track days.

Are these rims designed to seat with a tubeless tire bead?

Top Bottom