Supermoto 17" wheels for EX(R) ?

schwankl

beautiful. Thanks for the post! I have a set ordered (2w ago from a shop close to warp9 in slc) for my exr w/ 4.25 50t and the rosso 2's...such fun bikes, cannot wait.

Speedkills

I’ve never run street oriented tires for 18/21” wheels but has anyone here tried it and if so can you comment on how it compares to the smaller wheels? I have noticed some bikes such as the Zero FX coming with more street usable tires but still on off-road sized wheels and am wondering if I should just skip buying a new wheelset if all I want is a little more traction on the street.

Ultratoad

Hey @schwankl , thanks for the follow up. Installation went well, and was almost too easy (with the exception of using 100lb's of pressure to bead Q3+'s). The 5" rear with a 160 does touch the chain and swinger but after a couple miles it rubs in quite well. The 4.25 rear shouldn't have any clearance issues. She's purdy, and lots of fun. The swap can be done in less than 15 minutes as long as you don't need to break/swap chains to accommodate dramatically different sized sprockets. I have these kits available but don't know what the rules are here about directing you to other sites. If you search #RedshiftSMR on IG you can see some more pics. Thanks for all the resources and late night reading everyone.....love my Alta. Let me know if you have any other questions!
View attachment 779
Very well done.... Looks right.... Also, great PIC.... Will be my screen saver for a while !!!!

Ultratoad

I’ve never run street oriented tires for 18/21” wheels but has anyone here tried it and if so can you comment on how it compares to the smaller wheels? I have noticed some bikes such as the Zero FX coming with more street usable tires but still on off-road sized wheels and am wondering if I should just skip buying a new wheelset if all I want is a little more traction on the street.

We think alike.... Checked with Revzilla.... Quite a few street tires available in those wheel sizes....

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I've run 21/18" ContiTrailAttack 2 on my 2015 KTM Adventure R. They worked well, lots of traction. They were not bad even for some light off-roading.

Continental makes some pretty awesome 21/18' dual sport tires. My favorite is TKC80 front and TKC70 rear combo. Even with a knobby front I couldn't tell that I was not on slicks. I am not a road racer though.

Speedkills

Nice. That would be enough for me, not racing around on the street but on knobbies I’m more likely to spin the rear wheel than carry the front wheel over a pothole. It lights up incredibly easy. I did a quick test, I get more traction in sand and in gravel than I do on pavement. Don’t need full slicks, but just a little more traction on pavement would be great.

ecd

I’ll also be offering plug and play SM kits once I verify fitment.
What do you mean by this? Is the Warp 9 set not plug and play? Or are you referring to signals/horn/plate for MXR conversation?

I'm itching to convert to supermoto. My stock knobbies are now too dangerously worn down for the dirt and I'd really want a dedicated set of tires for dirt and street.

Chubbyboyclos

Hey @schwankl , thanks for the follow up. Installation went well, and was almost too easy (with the exception of using 100lb's of pressure to bead Q3+'s). The 5" rear with a 160 does touch the chain and swinger but after a couple miles it rubs in quite well. The 4.25 rear shouldn't have any clearance issues. She's purdy, and lots of fun. The swap can be done in less than 15 minutes as long as you don't need to break/swap chains to accommodate dramatically different sized sprockets. I have these kits available but don't know what the rules are here about directing you to other sites. If you search #RedshiftSMR on IG you can see some more pics. Thanks for all the resources and late night reading everyone.....love my Alta. Let me know if you have any other questions!
View attachment 779
Did you use some Ktm wheels or what did you use

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I'm not sure if this is still the company policy, but Warp 9 will sell the MX EX SM front wheel assembly as they delivered them to Alta, less the spacers. The 18" EX wheel assembly I purchased from Warp 9 had the 53 tooth sprocket with "Alta" on it, and the brake rotor. There are Ebay sellers with the front wheel assemblies, including spacers, but check your axle OD as there are two sizes.

Caryder

Nice. That would be enough for me, not racing around on the street but on knobbies I’m more likely to spin the rear wheel than carry the front wheel over a pothole. It lights up incredibly easy. I did a quick test, I get more traction in sand and in gravel than I do on pavement. Don’t need full slicks, but just a little more traction on pavement would be great.

After I bought my Alta EXR LAST September, and realizing it was a great commuter, I bought a set of SRT wheels for a KTM EXC through the dealership I purchased my Alta from. I put dirt tires on the SRT wheels and bought a set of Shinko 705 tires for the Warp 9 wheels. When I mount the SRT for off-road I offset the front brake caliper with a pair of precision 7mm spacers (tried washers but they didn’t stack up even or consistently enough for my liking). I didn’t want any spacers for the street setup because I figured that would be where I load the front brake system the most. It’s a casual 30 minute or less job to convert the bike over to off-road (wheel swap, drop turn signals, mirrors, etc...). The Shinko tires work better than I expected and with the light weight of the bike, seem to wear really well.

Shinko Dual Sport 705 Tire Combo | MotoSport

SRT Rims | SRT Offroad

Greyson

View attachment 779
Hey man I just sent you a message on instagram, I just bought a Alta redshift and am looking for some sumos, do you have any kits available?

Top Bottom