Street Legal ALTA MX in Colorado?

HighCountry

Hi, I've been riding and enjoying my 2017 MX here in Colorado. I have added street-legal accessories and got my certified VIN inspection yesterday. I bought all of my paperwork into the Pitkin County DMV and worked with them for over an hour trying to get plates for my bike. (Sidebar...Pitkin County now requires all off-road users of County roads (including most of the places I ride) to be licensed (plates) or be fined...). Anyway, the DMV persons could not find ALTA as a "manufacturer" in the computer system, thus would not give me plates. Anyone know of a "work-around" for this??? Thanks.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
In my state there is a form that needs to be filled out if the vehicle manufacturer is not listed as a Licensed Manufacturer. Along with the form, the vehicle needs a VIN verification and then, with the VIN verification form in hand, needs an inspection by the DVM. They sign off on form number one, then you can go get it registered.

But, CT considered Altas to be scooters because they are electric. No registration needed.

HighCountry

Thanks OneLapper. I have asked 2 in-state dealers, who have told me that they have clients who have gotten plates for their MXs here in CO, although neither one of them has, so far, been able to explain how their clients actually accomplished the task.

HighCountry

Strider, that's what I am trying to find out. Believe me, the folks at the local DMV (which is county, not state) are overwhelmed by the whole situation. If anyone reading this thread lives in Colorado and got a MX, EX or EXR plated on Colorado, please weigh in on how you got it done. Thank you.

And allesad, I will go that route if I have to, thanks for that tip.

snydes

Staff member
Strider, that's what I am trying to find out. Believe me, the folks at the local DMV (which is county, not state) are overwhelmed by the whole situation. If anyone reading this thread lives in Colorado and got a MX, EX or EXR plated on Colorado, please weigh in on how you got it done. Thank you.

And allesad, I will go that route if I have to, thanks for that tip.

Where is our @Elite Motorsports guys at? I would think they should be able to shed some light on this.